The Mullins market

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

OK, what am I missing?   Grayson and Adley would have to be in the top 2 in rookie of the year voting to get a full year if they stay in the minors for 15 days.   I don't think they are going to be held down for two to three months to avoid that.

Really? You don’t?

Ketel Marte was a popular name in the offseason as a potential trade candidate for a team looking for a CFer.  Arizona just gave him a 5 year extension.

It further diminishes an already small market and could potentially make Mullins all that much more valuable in a trade.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

OK, what am I missing?   Grayson and Adley would have to be in the top 2 in rookie of the year voting to get a full year if they stay in the minors for 15 days.   I don't think they are going to be held down for two to three months to avoid that.

We're punting again in 2022, so Elias would be a fool to risk wasting an entire service year for GrayRod this year.

He won't be up until July at the earliest.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We're punting again in 2022, so Elias would be a fool to risk wasting an entire service year for GrayRod this year.

I am not sure that punting is the right term.   I think this is a development year that sees several important prospects graduate to the majors.   Adley, Grayson, DL,  Bradish, Westburg, Stowers, Diaz, Baumann, Vavra, Ortiz, Bautista and Baker should all see time in the majors this year.   Those additions should improve the record some.

It will set the team up to compete next season.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

You gain the year as soon you get to the end of April/beginning of May. Whether you call up GRod then or in July, it changes nothing.

What you can avoid by waiting is super 2. But that should be out of the way around early to mid June.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You gain the year as soon you get to the end of April/beginning of May. Whether you call up GRod then or in July, it changes nothing.

What you can avoid by waiting is super 2. But that should be out of the way around early to mid June.

Super 2 status should not affect the O's with there payroll as low as it is and is going to stay relative low for some time.   They should play the prospect when they deem them ready.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Super 2 status should not affect the O's with there payroll as low as it is and is going to stay relative low for some time.   They should play the prospect when they deem them ready.

Of course they should but they don’t care about ready.  That’s not the priority.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course they should but they don’t care about ready.  That’s not the priority.

We don’t really have a track record on what the O’s will do to avoid Super 2.   I’ll worry about it when Grayson is pitching well in AAA and the O’s starters are struggling.  

1 hour ago, OrangeTurtle said:

Not in the sense that they'd even come close to having the required pieces it would take to acquire Mullins.

Their system is horrific. 

While I doubt they would want to further decimate their farm system, I think Montgomery, two of their other top 10 prospects like Kath, Colas, or Gonzales plus a lottery ticket or two would be a reasonable offer for Mullins.