I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

3 outcomes?  I agree.  Hard to go back when pitchers are throwing high 90s and triple digits and batters are gearing up for launch angles.  

Yeah, how do you get more balls in play- when BOTH pitchers and hitters are trying to reduce them?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure..and the Os are doing that by establishing a true cheap foundation.  They can further increase that by bringing in the correct players from Outside the organization.

Agreed.  And the correct players will be expensive and thus correspond closely to when the team is truly ready to compete of the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yeah, how do you get more balls in play- when BOTH pitchers and hitters are trying to reduce them?

I dunno, I'm thankful that I'm not in a position where I've gotta figure that out.

I'm not a total purist but when people start mentioning things like moving the mound back...ehhh, I dunno.  You don't see the NBA raising the rim, the NFL making the field longer.  60 feet, 6 inches is sacrosanct, IMO.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, I'm thankful that I'm not in a position where I've gotta figure that out.

I'm not a total purist but when people start mentioning things like moving the mound back...ehhh, I dunno.  You don't see the NBA raising the rim, the NFL making the field longer.  60 feet, 6 inches is sacrosanct, IMO.  

I mean if you can raise it I could see moving it a little.  But I don't see how that solves the problem.

The problem isn't an imbalance between offense and defense.

The problem is both offense and defense are seeking to do the same thing.  Which is boring.

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I mean if you can raise it I could see moving it a little.  But I don't see how that solves the problem.

The problem isn't an imbalance between offense and defense.

The problem is both offense and defense are seeking to do the same thing.  Which is boring.

Well, moving it back would have pitch velocity decrease by the time it reaches home plate + more time for the batter to identify pitch and most likely make contact.  More balls in play.

But how would they determine how far to move it back?  A foot?  3 feet?  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, moving it back would have pitch velocity decrease by the time it reaches home plate + more time for the batter to identify pitch and most likely make contact.  More balls in play.

But how would they determine how far to move it back?  A foot?  3 feet?  

More balls in play, or just more walks and balls in the air?

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Agreed.  And the correct players will be expensive and thus correspond closely to when the team is truly ready to compete of the playoffs.

Sure..but there isn’t a magic button that gets pushed when it’s time to contend.  Just because you want to doesn’t mean you will.

So, there is no magic formula on when you contend.  However, learning to win, learning from vets, etc…that is important.  That is needed.  The right players can help with that right now.

This is why what I have an issue with.  Some of you feel that just because guys are brought up, that it means we are contenders.  It’s not going to work like that, at least it’s not likely that it will.

And then what happens when guys struggle, ala 2021.  Do you just keep pushing things back?  At what point do you say enough is enough?

Im There now.  2021 was the year I expected to see real progress but then covid hit and that hurt a team like the Os, perhaps more than most teams.  So, I pushed it back to 2022.  There is no money on the roster.  You have Grayson and Adley, amongst others coming up.  You have trade options and FA that can help the team and not break the bank long term.  

I don’t agree with it at all but I can understand why some want to wait.  What I don’t get is why people get all up in arms about those that don’t want to wait and then also say signing guys now ruin anything.  When people say that, it makes me think they either don’t understand what is being done here, don’t understand finances or they don’t believe in the players that are in the organization now.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

More balls in play, or just more walks and balls in the air?

Beats me, I dunno.

It's my hope that teams get back to a slashing style of play...putting pressure on the defense, more balls in play.  I don't know what analytics and metrics would lead a team to believe that's a good idea but it's nice to think about.  

It's the one reason I did like the runner on 2nd to start extra innings.  Forced teams to play small ball, move a runner over, etc.  

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even though the 60'6" has remained the same since 1893, the distance between the average of pitchers' release points and home plate has decreased because pitchers have gotten, on average, taller and longer-limbed. And the decrease over the past, say, 50 years has been significant. (For the same reason, there's also been an effective increase in the height of the mound.) I've seen some estimates, but I can't recall them right now. Nonetheless, I think it's more likely that the effort to produce the same effect will be made by increasing the number of pitches thrown by a pitcher, for example by limiting the number of pitchers used in a game or the number of pitchers on the 26-man roster.

Other sports have been much more willing to change basic rules to improve the game: pro football has moved the goalposts, changed the extra-point and kickoff rules, added overtime, and protected quarterbacks and receivers. Basketball introduced the 3-point field goal, widened the lanes and banned zone defenses. Leagues in other sports haven't held their rules as sacrosanct as MLB.

It's not practical for them to change the size of their standardized playing surfaces. There have been some suggestions to raise the baskets, and there's been some experimentation with that. At least some of those showed a drop in outside shooting accuracy and an increase in rebounding and the proportion of scoring by big guys -- not the desired effect.

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Beats me, I dunno.

It's my hope that teams get back to a slashing style of play...putting pressure on the defense, more balls in play.  I don't know what analytics and metrics would lead a team to believe that's a good idea but it's nice to think about.  

It's the one reason I did like the runner on 2nd to start extra innings.  Forced teams to play small ball, move a runner over, etc.  

Part of the reason why we've seen the slashing style play go away is the astroturf fields from cookie cutter stadiums and domes are all gone. The Cardinals, Astros and Royals among other teams took advantage of their home field's playing surface.

That meant hitters put the ball in play to take advantage of the bounciness of astroturf, and stealing more bases because the turf gave runners an advantage. Plus you saw teams valuing speed and athleticism over bigger players that swung for the fences.

I liked seeing a mix in the styles of play between different franchises, whereas today pretty much all teams play the same style swinging for the fences.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess you’re too young to remember when the goalposts were at the front of the end zone.  Or when a jump shot from 24 feet was only worth 2 points.    

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess you’re too young to remember when the goalposts were at the front of the end zone.  Or when a jump shot from 24 feet was only worth 2 points.    

And there was no three second rule in basketball. And soccer goalies could waste time dribbling like a basketball player after picking up a back pass from a field player. And…