Hey! KoolAid

owknows

Here's a thumbnail analysis/prediction thread from a dyed-in-the-wool Kool Aid drinking optimist.

By 2023... Without adding any notable free agents...

GRod and Means will be the top of the rotation.

Two of the following, will be solid (better than .500) middle/back end starters.. Hall, Lowther, Bradish, Baumann, Zimmermann

Pushing at their heels will be Rom, Baumler, Young, Pinto

Lot of long relief potential in the crew that doesn't make the rotation.

Other-worldly monster Felix Bautista as the stopper

Outfield will consist of Hays, Mullins, Stowers..  with Vavra as a util inf/outf (Kjerstad as an ever hopeful)

Infield Mountcastle, Urias, Henderson/Westburg, Mayo/Westburg

Adley behind the plate.

Mundy DH

This is a 90+ win team

10 minutes ago, owknows said:

Here's a thumbnail analysis/prediction thread from a dyed-in-the-wool Kool Aid drinking optimist.

By 2023... Without adding any notable free agents...

GRod and Means will be the top of the rotation.

Two of the following, will be solid (better than .500) middle/back end starters.. Hall, Lowther, Bradish, Baumann, Zimmermann

Pushing at their heels will be Rom, Baumler, Young, Pinto

Lot of long relief potential in the crew that doesn't make the rotation.

Other-worldly monster Felix Bautista as the stopper

Outfield will consist of Hays, Mullins, Stowers..  with Vavra as a util inf/outf (Kjerstad as an ever hopeful)

Infield Mountcastle, Urias, Henderson/Westburg, Mayo/Westburg

Adley behind the plate.

Mundy DH

This is a 90+ win team

It wasn't Kool-Aid, it was Flavor-aid.

• Haha 1

I doubt Mayo is in the majors in 2023.   But I do think Rom will be up sometime that year, for sure.   

90 win team without additions?  I doubt it.   These players need time to mature.   They’re not all going to be at their best by 2023.   

I admire the optimism, but I don't know if there's recently been a 90 win team that's been pretty much made up of 100% guys promoted from within their own system.

That said, I agree with most of it, except the final 2/5 of the rotation consisting of Lowther, Bradish, Baumann, Zimmermann...I just don't see it.  But hopefully Hall is legit.  G-Rod, Means, Hall is a nice top 3.  

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's more me than you.

I'll explain, in a roundabout way.

What's the story behind the drink the kool-aid saying?

In that incident they didn't actually drink Kool-aid.

It was Flavor aid.

Wow... I pride myself on recognition of obscure references... but wouldn't have gotten that one. I guess Jim Jones was a cheap owner.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I admire the optimism, but I don't know if there's recently been a 90 win team that's been pretty much made up of 100% guys promoted from within their own system.

I'm not sure there's recently been a team made up of 100% guys promoted from within.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That said, I agree with most of it, except the final 2/5 of the rotation consisting of Lowther, Bradish, Baumann, Zimmermann...I just don't see it.  But hopefully Hall is legit.  G-Rod, Means, Hall is a nice top 3.  

So you really don't see 1 (one) of Lowther, Baumann, Bradish, Zimmermann sticking as a starter?

I'd be shocked if that didn't hold.

• Upvote 1

I'm good with everything that Elias has done to date.  Sure, I'd have drafted differently but it looks like he added some nice talent, so, whatever.  I'm good with not adding (FA/trade) any vet position players or bullpen arms this year.  I am excited for all these kids to graduate.  All of that aside, they need to add at least one, and probably two, veteran starters in the next year, starting now.  Most of the deals handed out so far have been awful but I'd have happily given EdRod 5/80.  They are not going to win anything solely with the arms in the org and they aren't going to draft any pitchers going forward that can help by 2023.

I don’t think any of the SP you listed besides Means and GRod should be relied upon. There might be 1 back end guy out of that group. The bullpen composition is completely unknown and Bautista is unlikely to be anything average or better. You might see Westburg up at the start of 23, but Gunnar is a long shot. That still isn’t a 90 win team. 75-80 at best, but that’s good enough to start adding some veteran FA