So, what are we going to talk about now?

Frobby

Hockey, soccer, basektball, lacrosse, rugby and football are all the same game.  You advance an object - the puck or ball - into a scoring area - across the goalline, into the basket or net etc..  Baseball is unique in that you don't advance the ball into a scoring area, you advance the player - the baserunner - into the scoring area - homeplate.  If the baserunner doesn't touch homeplate, it doesn't matter if the ball hits the warehouse, there's no score.  The only impact that the location where the ball is hit has in baseball is the impact that it has on the movement of the baserunner(s).  One of the reasons I love baseball is that it's different from all of those other team games in a this very fundamental way.

So, if you hate hockey, you should really hate all those other team sports, as well.  After all, it's just soccer on ice with boxing skills mixed in for good measure.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Blasphemy!!!!!!!

Sure, you can say that, but you also can't deny the lack of popularity compared to other sports.  That's not to say what is popular is great, but to a certain extent it's correct.  Hockey is distant in popularity and for a reason.

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Hockey, soccer, basektball, lacrosse, rugby and football are all the same game.  You advance an object - the puck or ball - into a scoring area - across the goalline, into the basket or net etc..  Baseball is unique in that you don't advance the ball into a scoring area, you advance the player - the baserunner - into the scoring area - homeplate.  If the baserunner doesn't touch homeplate, it doesn't matter if the ball hits the warehouse, there's no score.  The only impact that the location where the ball is hit has in baseball is the impact that it has on the movement of the baserunner(s).  One of the reasons I love baseball is that it's different from all of those other team games in a this very fundamental way.

So, if you hate hockey, you should really hate all those other team sports, as well.  After all, it's just soccer on ice with boxing skills mixed in for good measure.

Okay, from a 35,000 foot view.  But none of this is actually true.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure, you can say that, but you also can't deny the lack of popularity compared to other sports.  That's not to say what is popular is great, but to a certain extent it's correct.  Hockey is distant in popularity and for a reason.

Right, in hockey it’s very easy to maintain possession in the scoring area, and it’s such a tight rink that there isn’t all that much motion when they do. I think some kind of shot clock or expansion of the rink would do wonders.

Just now, survivedc said:

Right, in hockey it’s very easy to maintain possession in the scoring area, and it’s such a tight rink that there isn’t all that much motion when they do. I think some kind of shot clock or expansion of the rink would do wonders.

In hockey, they should just stop playing and go play a better sport.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You are correct. In Baseball, and maybe in cricket too, the player scores, and not the ball.

Love it.

everything else is second best.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wait, it's true when look at from the big picture.  But it's not true at all?  Really?

Sure there are technical differences.  One is on ice with skates (hockey).  One is on a wooden floor and very fast paced with lots of scoring (basketball).  One is on grass with almost no scoring (soccer).  One has sticks that you can use to whack each other (lacrosse).  But the object of all those games remains the same, move the device into the scoring area.  Baseball is different and I explained why.  Nothing that I said in either of these respects is wrong in any way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Wait, it's true when look at from the big picture.  But it's not true at all?  Really?

Sure there are technical differences.  One is on ice with skates (hockey).  One is on a wooden floor and very fast paced with lots of scoring (basketball).  One is on grass with almost no scoring (soccer).  One has sticks that you can use to whack each other (lacrosse).  But the object of all those games remains the same, move the device into the scoring area.  Baseball is different and I explained why.  Nothing that I said in either of these respects is wrong in any way.

Shhhhh don’t be haughty 

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Nothing is wrong except the technical differences, which, you know, make them all completely different sports.

Thats like saying NASCAR and the 400 meter hurdles are the same thing.  Both involve humans going around in a circle and seeing who finishes first.  

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nothing is wrong except the technical differences, which, you know, make them all completely different sports.

Thats like saying NASCAR and the 400 meter hurdles are the same thing.  Both involve humans going around in a circle and seeing who finishes first.  

Exactly. ?  Now, give me figure 8 demolition derby races with runners as an Olympic sport and I'm all in.  It would be better than girls twirling batons with streamers on them or whatever that sport is.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Exactly. ?  Now, give me figure 8 demolition derby races with runners as an Olympic sport and I'm all in.  It would be better than girls twirling batons with streamers on them or whatever that sport is.

It's hard separating the differences between Dale Earnhardt and Carl Lewis and the sports they play.