The Athletic: Ten under-the-radar prospects Matt Blood thinks you should monitor (12/22/21)

connja

https://theathletic.com/3021483/2021/12/22/10-under-the-radar-prospects-the-orioles-matt-blood-thinks-you-should-start-monitoring/

Subscription required.  Will share the list without the write-ups:

• Tyler Burch (24/RHP)
  • Trendon Craig (21/OF)
  • Andrew Daschbach (24/1b/of)
  • Isaac De Leon (20/IF)
  • Anderson De los Santos (17/IF)
  • Darrell Hernaiz (20/IF)
  • Jean Pinto (20/RHP)
  • Carlos Tavera (23/RHP)
  • Jacob Teter (23/1B)
  • Brandon Young (23/RHP)
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing this.  I am most interested in Anderson De Los Santos.  I'm a box score watcher (ok fine, junkie) and noticed he had a lot of nice days at the plate.  Sadly, I don't know exactly how he may be as a prospect but now seeing that he is only 17, I'm more interested in watching him progress through the system. 

Pinto, Hernaiz, Tavera, Teter, Young, et al i've heard of, read scouting reports on, etc. 

1 hour ago, Chuck A said:

Thanks for sharing this.  I am most interested in Anderson De Los Santos.  I'm a box score watcher (ok fine, junkie) and noticed he had a lot of nice days at the plate.  Sadly, I don't know exactly how he may be as a prospect but now seeing that he is only 17, I'm more interested in watching him progress through the system. 

Pinto, Hernaiz, Tavera, Teter, Young, et al i've heard of, read scouting reports on, etc. 

INF Anderson De Los Santos

Acquired: Signed by the Orioles out of the Dominican Republic in January 2021
Height/Weight: 5-11, 185
Bats/Throws: R/R
2021 Highest Affiliate/Stats: DSL Orioles: .324/.409/.495 in 36 games

Blood’s thoughts: A Latin American player who played in the (Dominican Republic) this year. He’s 17. He was one of our new signees out of the DR. We just now have kind of gotten back into that world and this was a player we signed for $350,000. He is a gamer. He is a versatile defender. He can play all over the infield. He’s big and strong and, for his age and for where he is from, he’s got a real mature offensive approach. He walks over 10 percent of the time, and he strikes out less than 15 percent. So, his walks and strikeouts are pretty similar, which in the DR is a big deal. And his OPS is over .900. This is an interesting guy because he can play on the dirt, gets on base and just has a mature way about the way he plays the game.

Connolly’s projected 2022 starting spot: Florida Complex League

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mlrhode said:

INF Anderson De Los Santos

Acquired: Signed by the Orioles out of the Dominican Republic in January 2021
Height/Weight: 5-11, 185
Bats/Throws: R/R
2021 Highest Affiliate/Stats: DSL Orioles: .324/.409/.495 in 36 games

Blood’s thoughts: A Latin American player who played in the (Dominican Republic) this year. He’s 17. He was one of our new signees out of the DR. We just now have kind of gotten back into that world and this was a player we signed for $350,000. He is a gamer. He is a versatile defender. He can play all over the infield. He’s big and strong and, for his age and for where he is from, he’s got a real mature offensive approach. He walks over 10 percent of the time, and he strikes out less than 15 percent. So, his walks and strikeouts are pretty similar, which in the DR is a big deal. And his OPS is over .900. This is an interesting guy because he can play on the dirt, gets on base and just has a mature way about the way he plays the game.

Connolly’s projected 2022 starting spot: Florida Complex League

Thank you for sharing!  Very optimistic.  Great little write-up.  He's on my radar now for sure.

On 12/22/2021 at 2:21 PM, Chuck A said:

Koby Perez told me "He's right up there with the (Hernandez and Basillo) as prospects. I'd like to see how he does in the FCL before getting too up on him but he's a nice interesting player for sure.

• Upvote 2

Almost makes we want to get a subscription to The Athletic.  Pinto is 13 and Brandon Young is 23 on OH top 30 but the other 8 are a little more under the radar.  I would love to see the write ups but I understand the constraints. I love this kind of stuff. 

Here’s a few tidbits from Tony about a couple of these guys:

“Daschbach is a bit of stiff power guy for me. More muscle power than quick bat, he did show nice power at Bowie but it came at a price. Not sure he's going to be able to show a consistent enough stick for 1B and he's Mancini like outfielder.”

“Teter had a nice start to his professional career but he wasn't able to tap into his raw power for playable game power enough for me. He'll play at 23 next year so he'll need to get up to AA next year while hitting for power to get on the prospect scene.”

Overall, we know Blood is a cheerleader when it comes to public statements about his players.   He’s not likely to tell you the player’s shortcomings.   But that’s fine.   He seems to be doing a good job.   Sig really likes him, I know that from an interview he gave recently.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Almost makes we want to get a subscription to The Athletic.  Pinto is 13 and Brandon Young is 23 on OH top 30 but the other 8 are a little more under the radar.  I would love to see the write ups but I understand the constraints. I love this kind of stuff. 

I subscribed about a year ago and it's becoming my go to site for general spots news, even for scores and the like.  It's not just for the articles anymore ;-).  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't mind pasting more in here but not sure if ti creates any issues for Tony and the site.    Is it a legal issue or a moral issue....I'm not sure.

34 minutes ago, connja said:

I don't mind pasting more in here but not sure if ti creates any issues for Tony and the site.    Is it a legal issue or a moral issue....I'm not sure.

Board rules:

11. Do not post copyrighted material in its entirety. You may cut and paste portions to discuss but please provide a link to the source site.

Just my opinion, but this is especially true for material behind a paywall.   

• Upvote 3

On 12/24/2021 at 4:18 PM, Frobby said:

Board rules:

11. Do not post copyrighted material in its entirety. You may cut and paste portions to discuss but please provide a link to the source site.

Just my opinion, but this is especially true for material behind a paywall.   

Yeah, this rule still stands. The Athletic is doing some good coverage and we should not be giving their content away for free. You can still use portions to discuss here but it's not right to post an entire article.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, connja said:

I subscribed about a year ago and it's becoming my go to site for general spots news, even for scores and the like.  It's not just for the articles anymore ;-).  

Yea, I really like The Athletic but I would say that it becomes more worth it if you have other sports interests outside of the Os and baseball.  I’m not sure that Connolly on his own warrants spending the money.

TBH, I got into during football season because of Jeff Z but I also knew a lot of other stuff on there would interest me.