Who could Roch be talking about here?

TCAlumni9700

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this goes down as discussed. Moving Ramon would accomplish a major offseason task, IMO.

It's a shame we couldn't add a prospect with Ramon to get Frazier, but it appears that saving $ in one form or another is a major offseason priorityfor almost every team. AM seems prepared to spend quite a few $, but am glad he will save a few in other areas.

I hope this goes down as discussed. Moving Ramon would accomplish a major offseason task, IMO.

It's a shame we couldn't add a prospect with Ramon to get Frazier, but it appears that saving $ in one form or another is a major offseason priorityfor almost every team. AM seems prepared to spend quite a few $, but am glad he will save a few in other areas.

Between Bradford and Ramon(for Freel), that would save over 10 million in salary.

Can't overlook the hidden aspect of the money saved.(i think this aspect often gets overlooked too often)

I may be way off, but has anyone considered the player coming back from the Reds may be Alex Gonzalez? He could play short until we get a prospect and his contract expires after the 09 season. There is a mutual option for '10 with .5 mil buy out. I know he was injured last year and was not ready to go for the fall league, but assume he will be ready by spring.

I'd rather have a prospect, but we could unload Ramon and get a stop gap SS.

I may be way off, but has anyone considered the player coming back from the Reds may be Alex Gonzalez? He could play short until we get a prospect and his contract expires after the 09 season. There is a mutual option for '10 with .5 mil buy out. I know he was injured last year and was not ready to go for the fall league, but assume he will be ready by spring.

I'd rather have a prospect, but we could unload Ramon and get a stop gap SS.

Two problems with that.

1) This is all a reaction to a Roch's post that say the guy plays the infield and outfield. Gonzalez does not play the outfield.

2) Gonzalez was suppose to play winter ball to show he was healthy. From what I have read he is not playing winter ball. That increases the risk that he is still not healthy. That is a lot for risk then the O's normally take.

I think Wildcard has been saying for sometime Hernandez for "both" Freel and Gonzalez. This would be salary for salary. However the last I saw something on Gonzalez, he had a set back and is not a sure thing for spring training.

Also he was out all of last year.

Exactly right. I said that a while ago. I thought that Gonzalez offered more offense then some of the candidates and has always be a good defensive player when healthy. However, Gonzalez is apparently not healthy and that changes the deal.

Freel for Ramon is a good deal for the O's if the O's don't have to send money with him.

What a mystifying entry. It's like... if you know the player, then why not speculate on a few players by name? If you just know that Andy is asking for an IF/OF for Ramon, then why not say that? Roch's blog has been frustrating recently, to say the least.

Remember what happened when Adam Jones told japanese media he was being traded to the Orioles- and then suddenly he wasn't. I doubt Roch will get very much inside info if he spills all the details before anything goes down.

2) Gonzalez was suppose to play winter ball to show he was healthy. From what I have read he is not playing winter ball. That increases the risk that he is still not healthy. That is a lot for risk then the O's normally take.

Gonzalez is not playing winter ball so he can work towards being healthy for spring training. His recovery has apparently been okay (nothing spectacular but progressing) but the team asked him to skip winter ball this year. Here's the link to where I read this info: Reference to Gonzalez's injury

Relevant Part:

The update on Gonzalez isn't all that encouraging.

"He's progressing," Walt Jocketty said. "He should be ready for spring training."

Gonzalez's plan when the season ended was to play winter ball -- first at the minor league level and then at the big league level. That's no longer the plan.

"We don't think that would be beneficial," Jocketty said. "We want him 100 percent for spring training."

Gonzalez hasn't played in a game since Sept. 12, 2007. He had surgery July 7 this year to correct the microfracture in left knee.

And for the record, I can see this rumor being about either player but I think more than likely that it's Freel.

Remember what happened when Adam Jones told japanese media he was being traded to the Orioles- and then suddenly he wasn't. I doubt Roch will get very much inside info if he spills all the details before anything goes down.

Was it Japanese media? I thought he was playing in Venezeula?

Archived