Could Drew Rom reach the majors this year?

Frobby

I’ve read occasional posts speculating that Jordan Westburg or even Gunnar Henderson couid play their way up to the majors in 2022 with a strong season.  I’ve thrown cold water on that speculation in other threads, and consider either scenario very unlikely.   

But if discussion of those guys is in play, then I say, what about Drew Rom?

Rom started the year in Hi A.   He got promoted to AA on July 31, pitching in 9 games plus a playoff start.  In the AA regular season, he threw 40 innings to a 3.83 ERA.   He closed the regular season with three scoreless outings, the last a 5 inning no-hit performance.   In the playoffs, with Bowie facing elimination, he threw five more shutout innings, striking out 7.

By comparison, Westburg started the year in low A and didn’t reach Bowie until August 17, OPSing .752 there.   Henderson started in low A and only reached Bowie on September 14, playing 8 games there (5 regular season, 3 playoffs), OPSing .561 in the regular season (.721 if you count the playoff games).

So, Rom started the year higher, got to AA sooner, and I’d say, had the best performance there of three.   Also, he needs to be added to the 40 man roster next offseason anyway, whereas the other two don’t.   

To me, none of the three are likely to make their major league debut in 2022, but if I were picking one, my bet would be on Rom.   He may be our most underrated prospect.  

• Upvote 2

I think pitchers that don't project as being top end guys are more likely to be promoted to help eat innings even if they haven't "earned" it via production.  Any pitcher on the 40 I think it pretty much fair game to get promoted at any time.

I think Rom has a decent shot at being one of those guys if a few things shake out for him.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are saying that last season Adley had a shot at the majors?

Always stirring the pot…

I guess in theory any player starting the year in AA has a shot to be in the majors that year, but some have a much better shot than others.   Last year, of players who started the season at Bowie, only Mike Baumann made it to the majors.   He wouid have been a pretty predictable guess.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Always stirring the pot…

I guess in theory any player starting the year in AA has a shot to be in the majors that year, but some have a much better shot than others.   Last year, of players who started the season at Bowie, only Mike Baumann made it to the majors.   He wouid have been a pretty predictable guess.

I don't like blanket statements.

Sports guy loves making them.

Elias seems a lot more hesitant to add players to the 40 than any prior front office I can remember. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like blanket statements.

Sports guy loves making them.

Elias seems a lot more hesitant to add players to the 40 than any prior front office I can remember. 

I made a true statement. If you start the season at AA, you have a shot at making the majors in that season.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I made a true statement. If you start the season at AA, you have a shot at making the majors in that season.  

So you are saying, and you honestly believe, that Adley had a shot at making the majors in 2021?

What scenario are you thinking of?  Does it involve a meteor strike?

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you are saying, and you honestly believe, that Adley had a shot at making the majors in 2021?

What scenario are you thinking of?  Does it involve a meteor strike?

I really wanted this thread to be about Rom.   Maybe Westburg and Henderson to some degree.   

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think pitchers that don't project as being top end guys are more likely to be promoted to help eat innings even if they haven't "earned" it via production.  Any pitcher on the 40 I think it pretty much fair game to get promoted at any time.

I think Rom has a decent shot at being one of those guys if a few things shake out for him.

I think this nails it. The Orioles are going to call up, relatively speaking, a lot of pitchers in 2022. If Rom is pitching well then there's a good chance he will get at least a short term opportunity to pitch for the ML team. 

The short answer is "yes."

The Orioles need pitchers.  Rom has performed decently in the upper minors.  It's virtually certain they won't bother to play service time games with him.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I expect to see Rom in the Majors this year.  Maybe not until September, but I do expect him to make his ML debut this year.

Part of that expectation is that I am higher on him as a prospect than anybody else, and I expect him to continue to perform well.

18 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The short answer is "yes."

The Orioles need pitchers.  Rom has performed decently in the upper minors.  It's virtually certain they won't bother to play service time games with him.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I expect to see Rom in the Majors this year.  Maybe not until September, but I do expect him to make his ML debut this year.

Part of that expectation is that I am higher on him as a prospect than anybody else, and I expect him to continue to perform well.

I’m pretty high on him.   I wouldn’t have started the thread if I wasn’t.  I assume he will start in AA but could move to AAA pretty quickly if he has a good start, as Bradish and Smith did last year.   Then we’ll see how he does there.   Bradish was in AAA from May 25 on but was a bit erratic there until September when he did very well.   He finished with a 4.26 ERA in AAA but was over 5.00 before September.   I think Rom would have to do better than that in AAA to get called up.   I don’t think they’ll want to burn an option on him, so they’ll only call him up if they plan to keep him up the remainder of the season no matter what.  

Its pretty easy to said Rom could make the majors this season but its much harder to say he will.   As a finesse pitcher he will have to earn everything he gets.   The O's have a bunch of pitchers that were starters at AA and did well including Lowther, Kremer, Akin, Zimmermann, Baumann, Bradish, and Smith.   So its too early to say Rom will do well at AAA just yet.   He is behind Grayson and DL Hall.   He will have to elbow his way passed the other guys to get to the majors.

• Upvote 1