Signability of potential picks

Andruw Jones made a small fortune playing Major League baseball for 14+ seasons- $128 Million.   I am wondering if that might mean Jones Jr could be available for a little below slot??   Can the extra 1-2 million really matter that much to him if his family has that kind of money???

Just a thought....

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or he's in a better position to play hard ball with a team because he's already financially secure.

I've never heard of players from affluent backgrounds signing for less. 

Good point....   Maybe we see what Termarr Johnson will sign for....

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tatis Jr. didn’t get that much ($700 k).

Was that less?

I don't recall him being that highly touted when he signed.

Just dug this up.

MLB.com ranked Tatis Jr. as the 27th-best international free agent and Reyes at No. 30, while Baseball America rated Reyes at No. 27 in its international free agent rankings.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-add-fernando-tatis-jr-three-other-international-players

Some of the other signings that year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/clubs-sign-top-july-2-international-prospects/c-134058394

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No one is a signability issue if they go #1 (or many other places in the draft).

The slotting system pretty much guarantees that.

If you don't sign and go back in the draft the best you can do is go first again.  Not a good risk/reward for the player.

Best case scenario they start their pro career a year older and get maybe 10% more upfront.  Much greater chance they don't get offered as much the next time around.

I am pretty confident that Elias and team will have good feel for what it will take to sign the players on their board. It doesn't seem as though they've had any issues in that area.  I suspect that even though the HS guys have better leverage, if there is no clear consensus #1 that the Orioles can and will use that to their advantage at #1 and save some money to be used later.