Orioles sign Shed Long to a minor league deal

SteveA

I learned recently "Parking Lot Ced" was a Mullins minor league nickname, which until last year wouldn't have made much sense but wow am I glad to have discovered why it was.

If Shed-Ced was ever a sequence as the lineup turned over, and the White Sox were using Mike Wright, the Wright Shed Ced matchups could be sexy for the Orioles.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Prior to the injury he looked like a left fielder not a 2B.

LF   -  934 OPS

2B -  705 OPS

Wait…you are drawing conclusions that he will hit better in LF than at 2B based on how he did in less than 100 PA at each position back in 2019?    

I’d be far more concerned about how his defense is at 2B than how his offensive splits by defensive position happened to break out.  

Shed Long's profile from 2019 from MLB.com:

Apparently MLB.com updates his age even though the wire-up is when he was a prospect in 2019.

BioStats
  • BATS
    L
  • DOB
    08/22/1995
  • THROWS
    R
  • HT
    5' 8"
  • DRAFTED
    2013, 12th (375) - CIN
  • WT
  • TWITTER

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 50 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

Long began his professional career with the Reds as a catcher, with the Jacksonville, Fla., native spending his first two summers of pro ball at rookie levels behind the plate after being a 12th-round Draft pick in 2013. The combination of raw defensive skills and advanced abilities at the plate led the Reds to move Long to second base and he hit his way up to Double-A, not to mention the 40-man roster following the 2017 season. He was part of the package for Sonny Gray sent to the Yankees, who then turned around and dealt him to the Mariners for outfield prospect Josh Stowers.

The Mariners believe in Long's bat and see him as the second baseman of the future in the organization. Compact and strong, he's shown a consistent ability to drive the ball from the left side of the plate, with quick hands generating the bat speed for solid power numbers. There will always be some swing and miss to his game, but he also draws a fair amount of walks. While far from a burner, he's a very good baserunner who has the ability to steal some bases.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wait…you are drawing conclusions that he will hit better in LF than at 2B based on how he did in less than 100 PA at each position back in 2019?    

I’d be far more concerned about how his defense is at 2B than how his offensive splits by defensive position happened to break out.  

No conclusion.   Just stating a fact.  

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Take what ever you want from the data.

If you want to take nothing that is fine.

I just don't think there is anything meaningful to take about where he should play from such a SSS, and one from 2 full seasons ago at that. If he can hit pretty well and not be a complete butcher with his glove, I don't really care whether he's at 2B, LF, both, or somewhere else entirely.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

When I said “minor league depth,” I meant a guy who’d likely play most of the year in the minors but who could get called up if necessary.   

Sorry, I was confusing "depth" with Tony's post about filling out the AAA roster. I would agree with minor league depth but I definitely see some upside.

10 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I just don't think there is anything meaningful to take about where he should play from such a SSS, and one from 2 full seasons ago at that. If he can hit pretty well and not be a complete butcher with his glove, I don't really care whether he's at 2B, LF, both, or somewhere else entirely.

Depends on the profile you want your LFer to have with the wall being moved back.   Hays is a good fit because he is a  plus runner.   Long is rated a 50 runner which is an average runner.