Kjerstad looking good in his first spring training (Update: Out 8-12 weeks Hamstring injury)

Tony-OH

He looks good,” Stowers said. “He’s a great guy. I’ve really enjoyed being around him and just having a good time getting work in with him.

“You know about the bat and the exit velocity that he’s able to generate, and his bat-to-ball skills, but I didn’t realize how fast he was. The guy can run really well. Doing some running times, he’s been impressive with how well he can run.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/more-on-new-cba-and-stowers-review-of-2021-season.html

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

He looks good,” Stowers said. “He’s a great guy. I’ve really enjoyed being around him and just having a good time getting work in with him.

“You know about the bat and the exit velocity that he’s able to generate, and his bat-to-ball skills, but I didn’t realize how fast he was. The guy can run really well. Doing some running times, he’s been impressive with how well he can run.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/more-on-new-cba-and-stowers-review-of-2021-season.html

His comments about his running did not surprise me. When they drafted Kjerstad, I said he was sneaky fast and I thought he was a 50 runner. He beat out a bunt early in his junior year, though the defender made a solid play. Most scouting reports said he was a 40 runner, and that was a lazy take.

Just now, Jammer7 said:

His comments about his running did not surprise me. When they drafted Kjerstad, I said he was sneaky fast and I thought he was a 50 runner. He beat out a bunt early in his junior year, though the defender made a solid play. Most scouting reports said he was a 40 runner, and that was a lazy take.

Considering the fact that you can literally rate a player's speed stat with a stopwatch as they run to first how can you get away with lazy takes?

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering the fact that you can literally rate a player's speed stat with a stopwatch as they run to first how can you get away with lazy takes?

Yes, you can. You can also see it in statcast and other devices. Some players run a mediocre time as freshmen and get labeled. He showed definite improvement over the years. Time him running to 1B on the bunt I mentioned. 

On 3/12/2022 at 11:33 AM, Frobby said:

Good to hear that his speed is back.  I was thinking that might be the one thing that wouldn't come back all the way.  All I hope for him is that he plays a full season this year.  If he's healthy and stays all year at one level, I'm fine w/ it.  Do you think he will start at Delmarva w/ extra rest?  I guess a lot depends on how he does in spring training.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:33 AM, Frobby said:

Players can’t be optioned more than five times in a season before requiring outright assignment waivers.

It should be called the Lowther rule.  I hope Lowther got frequent flyer miles for all his flights.

Stupid game speed.    That Adley inside-the-park HR was fun for like two seconds.

<rant>

It is Overreaction Theater, but I feel like let's hire Harold Baines as his roommate and talk about the Zen of designated hitting until about the Fourth of July.    Hopefully he can DH for Delmarva before April ends.   If he can run the bases without incident for a month or two, revisit outfield play.    A bat like Kjerstad costing himself needed looks at live pitching while fielding is almost as aggravating as one of the world's best pitchers hurting themselves trying to hit.

</rant>

Obviously actual medical professionals will do due diligence.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

Any kind of hamstring injury is a major problem in my opinion. It's a nagging injury and is easy to injure it again. 

It's also not a great sign that a 23 year old is pulling his hamstring. With all the stretching they do, a young guy should really not be pulling muscles. Ashamed really. He's a guy that really needed a full healthy year.