Free agency thread

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Went to Nationals. Remember when DD didn’t think Cruz was worth the third year? LOL Good times. So much incompetent leadership in this franchise’s history. And he did ok considering ownership…

I'll take unprecedented aging curves for a thousand Alex.

9 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

That should effectively take the Yankees out of the running for Correa and could potentially put the Twins into the running for Correa.

What a weird series of deals by MIN though. They basically turned Garver and Donaldson into Gary Sanchez and payroll space.

Yankees are on the hook for $50M the next two seasons for Donaldson.  I don't get what they're doing picking up an old 3B making $$$. The Twins were just happy to dump his contract and have zero interest in keeping Sanchez. 

I hope you're right and this means they're out of the running for Correa. 

2 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Remember when DD didn’t think Cruz was worth the third year? LOL Good times. So much incompetent leadership in this franchise’s history. 

That was a perfectly defensible thing to do, it is incredibly uncommon for a hitter to remain absolutely elite well into their late 30s, but Cruz has been able to buck the well-established trend for some (😉) reason.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yankees are on the hook for $50M the next two seasons for Donaldson.  I don't get what they're doing picking up an old 3B making $$$. The Twins were just happy to dump his contract and have zero interest in keeping Sanchez. 

My guess is that all of this is a precursor to a hard push for either Correa or Story (the former would be my guess).

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

My guess is that all of this is a precursor to a hard push for either Correa or Story (the former would be my guess).

By the Twins, derp.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Yankees are out of it that's good enough for me. Whether it's real to not, I at least feel like the O's have a chance to sign Correa competing against the Twins. 

His options do seem to be dwindling (Yankees, Cubs, Angels, and Rockies all seem to be out of the SS market now) plus Story is still out there as direct, cheaper competition.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, oriole said:

I like to the think that the majority of fans understand that Correa isn’t actually happening.

I read a tweet yesterday that was a screen capture of a DM from someone to Dan Connolly. He said Correa to the O's isn't happening in the DM. I can't find the tweet though.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't think we actually made Correa an offer before the lockout and I don't think we will, but at the same time, his plausible landing spots seem to be rapidly dwindling now that the Cubs (Simmons), Yanks (IKF), Rockies (Iglesias), and Angels (definitively stated that they are going to have an in-house competition) all seem to be out of the SS market. I see the Astros, Twins, Red Sox, and (least likely) the Orioles.

Am I missing anyone?

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I don't think we actually made Correa an offer before the lockout and I don't think we will, but at the same time, his plausible landing spots seem to be rapidly dwindling now that the Cubs (Simmons), Yanks (IKF), Rockies (Iglesias), and Angels (definitively stated that they are going to have an in-house competition) all seem to be out of the SS market. I see the Astros, Twins, Red Sox, and (least likely) the Orioles.

Am I missing anyone?

Well I guess if he becomes open to playing 3rd, you never know.

But if the Dodgers miss out on Freeman, maybe they go after him?