Mancini, Mullins and Santandar Trade Question

Bahama O's Fan

You may as well keep Mancini and Santander honestly. Santander will likely be non-tendered next year and I think everyone who’d be interested in him knows this. Whatever is offered in return for him would probably reflect this. 

Trading Mullins makes way too much sense. It’s a similar situation to Davis and Britton after they had insane years. They both eventually came back down to earth and nothing was received in return. Mullins is almost guaranteed to come up short of matching his year last year, but if there’s a team out there who thinks “well maybe this is who Mullins is” then you cash in and get a real nice pitching prospect or two. We’ll see a decent centerfielder come up between Hays, Stowers, or Cowser.

13 minutes ago, oriole said:

You may as well keep Mancini and Santander honestly. Santander will likely be non-tendered next year and I think everyone who’d be interested in him knows this. Whatever is offered in return for him would probably reflect this. 

Trading Mullins makes way too much sense. It’s a similar situation to Davis and Britton after they had insane years. They both eventually came back down to earth and nothing was received in return. Mullins is almost guaranteed to come up short of matching his year last year, but if there’s a team out there who thinks “well maybe this is who Mullins is” then you cash in and get a real nice pitching prospect or two. We’ll see a decent centerfielder come up between Hays, Stowers, or Cowser.

If Santander stay healthy he could have a productive offensive and defensive  year that would raise his trade value.  I think its way too early to say he will be non tendered this fall.   But staying healthy has been a problem for him.

It will take a blockbuster deal to get Mullins.  SG has been proposing one but I don't know if the Marlins will trade that kind of pitching talent.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If Santander stay healthy he could have a productive offensive and defensive  year that would raise his trade value.  I think its way too early to say he will be non tendered this fall.   But staying healthy has been a problem for him.

It will take a blockbuster deal to get Mullins.  SG has been proposing one but I don't know if the Marlins will trade that kind of pitching talent.

Santander is always injured and can’t get on base. I have very low expectations from him personally.

If the Marlins did the type of trade that I’ve seen SG bring up then I’d be ecstatic. There’s plenty of outfielders on the horizon and not much pitching. After GRod and the forever injured Hall it’s a steep drop off. I’d hold onto Means for that reason too. 

If you really wanna get crazy then you extend Mancini and trade Mountcastle for pitching also. There’s 15 new teams that would love a young and cheap DH and the Orioles need pitching badly. 

• 2 weeks later...

During Mike Elias’ tenure as the Orioles’ general manager, he’s never been afraid to make difficult, unpopular decisions.

His unstated mantra is, “This may hurt now, but it’s for the ultimate good.”

He’s about to enter new and treacherous territory, however. Within the next two weeks, and certainly by the end of July, it sure looks like Elias will be dealing away first baseman/designated hitter Trey Mancini.........

Connolly: Mike Elias will trade Trey Mancini within weeks or months; he’d better be ready for heavy backlash – The Athletic

• Thanks 1

Fwiw, Miami supposedly turned down an offer of Bryan Reynolds for Khalil Watson and Max Meyer.  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/marlins-notes-reynolds-hernandez-bullpen-neidert-sixto.html Gotta figure that Reynolds has a little more trade value than Mullins - same age but Reynolds had an even better year than Mullins.  I'd love to get Watson, but it isn't realistic, and I'd rather shoot for Meyer.  We obviously aren't going to get both.  They've got some nice young pitching they can add on to Meyer to make it worthwhile for both teams.  And we could throw in an excess prospect if it results in getting more pitching from them.    

1 hour ago, Paul in Virginia said:

During Mike Elias’ tenure as the Orioles’ general manager, he’s never been afraid to make difficult, unpopular decisions.

His unstated mantra is, “This may hurt now, but it’s for the ultimate good.”

He’s about to enter new and treacherous territory, however. Within the next two weeks, and certainly by the end of July, it sure looks like Elias will be dealing away first baseman/designated hitter Trey Mancini.........

Connolly: Mike Elias will trade Trey Mancini within weeks or months; he’d better be ready for heavy backlash – The Athletic

Dan really fancies himself the hard hitting reporter of the Elias era. It's cute.