40 Man Roster

SCJeff

10 minutes ago, seak05 said:

So O's have 9 IF on 40 man (Mateo is listed as OF but I counted him as IF), and invited 3 IF. I'm pretty surprised that none of Grenier, Westbrook, or Prieto was invited to big league camp  

Just because they are not listed does not mean they will not be called over to play in games.  Especially away games in ST.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So we may need to clear some 40 man spots soon....hope we will need to add:

1. Owings

2. Nottingham

3. Adley?  If they can preserve the opportunity to get an extra pick if he finishes top 3 ROY, they should put him on the ML Injured List, send him out on 2 weeks rehab and then call him up.

my preferences for removal:

1. Odor

2. Akin

3. Bannon?

I hope they do keep Owings over Odor, but that seems like an easy 1:1 swap.  IF they want to keep Martin, it might be at the expense of someone like Nevin but I don't see that happening, so makes Martin's chances tougher.

They do need to keep a 2nd catcher at least, so that' where it gets difficult.  Akin or Bannon?  Other candidates?

Note: I may be totally misreading how this works but this is just my 10 minute analysis.  

45 minutes ago, connja said:

1. Owings

2. Nottingham

3. Adley?  If they can preserve the opportunity to get an extra pick if he finishes top 3 ROY, they should put him on the ML Injured List, send him out on 2 weeks rehab and then call him up.

1. Odor

2. Akin

3. Bannon?

I hope they do keep Owings over Odor, but that seems like an easy 1:1 swap.  IF they want to keep Martin, it might be at the expense of someone like Nevin but I don't see that happening, so makes Martin's chances tougher.

They do need to keep a 2nd catcher at least, so that' where it gets difficult.  Akin or Bannon?  Other candidates?

Note: I may be totally misreading how this works but this is just my 10 minute analysis.  

Other candidates include Mattson who could maybe go on the 60 day IL. I think a guy like Jones is very vulnerable. 

Akin I think has too much multi-inning/spot starter value to DFA right now but I'm not a fan either.

I think Odor, Bannon and  Krehbiel are most vulnerable. I read somewhere, I think it was Nathan Ruiz, that Odor’s contract is more so guaranteed than Yolmer Sanchez. So they would have to eat the MLB minimum to release him. Though he certainly has done nothing to earn a spot this Spring.

Bannon’s Spring numbers are a mirage against weaker competition later in games, mostly.

Krehbiel actually has been pretty good, but I think there are others they value more. It is a good sign when you have to DFA a Krehbiel.

As far as catcher, I like Nottingham’s potential. I would start him in AAA, if possible. I do not think they will carry three catchers on the 40 man, so it stands to reason they will DFA the back up when Adley is ready in a few weeks or so. Beau Taylor and Bemboom are solid defensive guys and LH bats, but they are more expendable, to me, than Nottingham. Nottingham was claimed on waivers a few times in 2021. 

54 minutes ago, interloper said:

Other candidates include Mattson who could maybe go on the 60 day IL. I think a guy like Jones is very vulnerable. 

Akin I think has too much multi-inning/spot starter value to DFA right now but I'm not a fan either.

I could see Mattson going on the 60 day IL. But I seriously would be shocked if Elias thought Jones should be DFA, though maybe a trade. We do have a glut of 2B/OF types in AAA. I still think he’ll hit, but the defense at 2B needs a lot of work. 

I know they just added Gillaspie a few months ago, but he may be more vulnerable. I have only seen him twice, along with some video, but not sure he is on firm footing. It is an over-the-top delivery, tough angle, up to 98 this Fall. But the results have been spotty. 

1 hour ago, connja said:

1. Owings

2. Nottingham

1. Odor

2. Akin

3. Bannon?

Good call on Adley’s situation. I would be surprised if they give up on Akin just yet. The preparation, lack of, is maddening. However, there is hope still that he gets his act together and becomes a solid pen guy at least.

Nevin will hit, and he has gotten a lot of run this Spring. I would be shocked if they DFA Nevin. I would rather see Stewart go, honestly. But I don’t see it happening just yet. 

There are not a lot of obvious DFA candidates on the roster, currently. Perhaps a trade or two is in the works? Nothing big, though. Just some minor deals to clear some space, maybe.

I think Owings is a good possibility, along with Bemboom or Taylor, to be added. Maybe add another waiver claim as well since they do have the first shot at them. 

Just now, Jammer7 said:

Good call on Adley’s situation. I would be surprised if they give up on Akin just yet. The preparation, lack of, is maddening. However, there is hope still that he gets his act together and becomes a solid pen guy at least.

Nevin will hit, and he has gotten a lot of run this Spring. I would be shocked if they DFA Nevin. I would rather see Stewart go, honestly. But I don’t see it happening just yet. 

There are not a lot of obvious DFA candidates on the roster, currently. Perhaps a trade or two is in the works? Nothing big, though. Just some minor deals to clear some space, maybe.

I think Owings is a good possibility, along with Bemboom or Taylor, to be added. Maybe add another waiver claim as well since they do have the first shot at them. 

Trades? Can Elias do that? Wouldn’t know from this off-season. 

I hope Odor isn't kept over a guy who could help the team in the future.  Odor's upside seems to be a guy who could hit 25-30 HR w/ a sub .300 OBP and mediocre defense.  He's basically Ruiz lite.  I would rather have last year's Ruiz over Odor in fact.  I know 700k is a big amount of money to the O's, but other teams make decisions like this every day.  Please someone come up with a scenario where Odor is on the team in 2024 or is traded for someone of value. 

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I hope Odor isn't kept over a guy who could help the team in the future.  Odor's upside seems to be a guy who could hit 25-30 HR w/ a sub .300 OBP and mediocre defense.  He's basically Ruiz lite.  I would rather have last year's Ruiz over Odor in fact.  I know 700k is a big amount of money to the O's, but other teams make decisions like this every day.  Please someone come up with a scenario where Odor is on the team in 2024 or is traded for someone of value. 

What value/prospect are you going to get for Odor? Seriously. A 4a guy? The upside doesn’t rationalize keeping him but you know my thoughts on this GM.