2022 Trade Targets?

connja

47 minutes ago, Pickles said:

My statement is literal sarcasm.  I'm repeating SG's words back to him in the hopes he realize how silly they are.

When you hav a payroll of $7, that money means nothing.  I’m good with that.  

It doesn’t stop them from doing anything now and it doesn’t stop them from doing anything long term. 

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/amp/pares_aggressively_shopping_eric_hosmer_wil_myers/s1_13237_37299631

Not sure if there is anything that is realistic and can make sense here but…

I'd take Myers in a salary dump if the Padres include Hassell. Hassell is going to be a stud, wish we had drafted him (or Veen, or Walker) instead of Kjerstad.

Taking on Myers to add Hassell would be a great move and wouldn't cost us all that much money. We can buy out Myers for a measly $1 million next year.

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'd take Myers in a salary dump if the Padres include Hassell. Hassell is going to be a stud, wish we had drafted him (or Veen, or Walker) instead of Kjerstad.

Taking on Myers to add Hassell would be a great move and wouldn't cost us all that much money. We can buy out Myers for a measly $1 million next year.

I doubt they would include an elite prospect to get out of 1 year of Myers. The previous scuttlebutt was that they were willing to include Hassell or Campusano with Hosmer and his 4 remaining years, not Myers and his one year.

15 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Padres weren't able to land Cruz.  They are obviously hunting for players to push them deep into the playoffs.  I can see two potential scenarios:

* Padres have a salary dump trade lined up if they sign an FA to stay under the CBT.  Depends on the dollars if Santander/Mancini would work.  I'd be fine with eating Myers salary for one year ($23.5M assuming we buy out the option) and getting Hassell.  Hosmer has a few years at $13M if Hosmer doesn't opt out.  Meh...  

* Padres aren't able to land an impact bat in FA, then they will want an upgrade over Myers/Hosmer.  Not sure Santander or Mancini gets it done though.  

I wouldn't trade Mullins for a 19 y/o OFer at this point.  The bird in the hand thing...

25 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I doubt they would include an elite prospect to get out of 1 year of Myers. The previous scuttlebutt was that they were willing to include Hassell or Campusano with Hosmer and his 4 remaining years, not Myers and his one year.

Agreed.  Guess it depends on how motivated they are to stay under the 2-timer CBT threshold vs. how motivated they are to win now (and this could play as much against us as for us).

I admit I welcome the notion of doing something with San Diego just because Preller's 2022 roster has a fair chance to be his last one if it doesn't work.    

Last year Hosmer gave them a 104 OPS+ from 1B, and their best reserve bat was "the other catcher".   Myers was the starting RF.   Assuming Seiya steps in for him if they open the payroll space.   Roster Resource today gives Jurickson Profar as starting DH, and Nomar Mazara as starting LF - this is a team with the GM under the gun who could genuinely use Mancini, Santander, maybe even Mountcastle depending on how fanciful you want to get.

Trey could spend the year telling Manny about the improvements here.

Padres could just use cash for the Schwarber, Conforto type guy even after missing Cruz.   Pham seems more sentimental about becoming the Rays 1B than going back to Tatis' team.

3 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Reading between the lines, it seems very possible that Tatis fractured his wrist in a motorcycle accident and kept the injury quiet until now. Super irresponsible of him if so, and I'd be looking into voiding the contract if I'm the Padres.

Kept it quiet?

I don't think he was allowed to talk to the team because the owners locked him out.