Is adding Adley and Grayson the equivalent to......

wildcard

I agree Grayson Rodriguez pitching up to 130-150 innings isn't out of the question. It all depends on when he starts the season in Baltimore and how quickly he adapts to MLB hitters. 

In 2019, three of the ROY qualifiers pitched between 155 and 174 innings. It's not out of the question that other rookie pitchers can't do the same, and we're not coming off of 2020 with a shortened MLB season and no MILB games. 

Teams are more cautious with pitchers every single year, but I hope we still live in a world where some rookie pitchers can still go 150+ innings. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree Grayson Rodriguez pitching up to 130-150 innings isn't out of the question. It all depends on when he starts the season in Baltimore and how quickly he adapts to MLB hitters. 

In 2019, three of the ROY qualifiers pitched between 155 and 174 innings. It's not out of the question that other rookie pitchers can't do the same, and we're not coming off of 2020 with a shortened MLB season and no MILB games. 

Teams are more cautious with pitchers every single year, but I hope we still live in a world where some rookie pitchers can still go 150+ innings. 

I'm sure he could.  I don't think he will be allowed to.

Last season he had some of the lowest stress innings you will ever see, and barely crested 100 IP. 

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

GRod, if healthy, throws 150ish innings this year between AAA and the majors…and I think a majority will be in the majors.

Id be surprised if he’s not up by mid May.

I think we'll see him by May as well. He's the best starter they have right now.

Re Rodriguez’s innings:

“It’s something we’ve had a discussion about,” Elias said. “We did not think that 2021, coming off the alt site experience of 2020 and the start and stop spring training and then the alt site and then the instructional league, that 2021 was the year to have a guy like him start pitching into the seventh, eighth, ninth inning in pro ball - even though that’s something you want to do at some point in time.

“We do have a plan for how we want to manage his innings and hopefully if we’re able to stick to the plan and get him deep into games - it’s probably not something that we’re going to do early in the spring - but if things are going well and we get later in the spring, we might start seeing that and we want to see that. But I’m happy about the decision that we made to kind of keep them to five innings or so last year.

“He got the innings totals and had we gone further than that, we would have shut him down early. I think the fact that he was able to pitch across the calendar so long was more valuable to him than having a couple games where he goes into the seventh.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/03/orioles-spring-ahead-with-challenge-of-getting-players-ready.html

Hopefully our first data point comes three weeks from today on Norfolk opening night.   

I think his chance at 100 MLB innings is small.

Last year was 23 turns averaging 69 pitches.   I don't expect him to take more than 27 turns or average more than 80-85 pitches this summer.    I think MLB Bats will hold him to 5 innings across that pitch count most nights.   

Then it is just Norfolk v. Baltimore turns.   2010 the Nationals paraded Strasburg 11 times for 55 innings in the minors and 12 times for 68 innings in the Show.    I'm hopeful Rodriguez gets turns 24-27.   I give him a shot at 100 MLB innings only if his Norfolk tenure is <5 turns.

I still haven't seen the fine print of what draft pick bonuses are out there for RoY podium placements, so suppose they could be big enough to get everyone here fast.    If he gets to Turn 10 still at Norfolk, I'm going to start wondering if he'll end up reclassifying to the next Rookie of the Year race like Hays and Mountcastle did    #FarmRankings