John Means 2022

Il BuonO

I believe these developments would have to be excluded, but another onion layer to his upcoming in-season arbitration hearing.

Fingers crossed the MRI is clean and he exercised wise restraint.   But even in the sunny day scenario, the answer to the question of Can he take all his turns this year is a quick No.

It's so unfortunate this guy couldn't have stayed healthy until the trade deadline last year so they could have unloaded him, probably for a nice package. Another bit of bad luck in this daunting rebuild. 

So after a pretty healthy spring, starting to build a little list of injuries. Most are minor so far, thankfully, though I obviously will be expecting the worst for Means until proven otherwise.  

Means
Diaz 
Adley
Stowers (Has anyone ever missed like 4 games from a freaking bruise? Talk about being overly conservative...)
Kjerstad (Nearly forgot he existed again...) 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

So after a pretty healthy spring, starting to build a little list of injuries. Most are minor so far, thankfully, though I obviously will be expecting the worst for Means until proven otherwise.  

Means
Diaz 
Adley
Stowers (Has anyone ever missed like 4 games from a freaking bruise? Talk about being overly conservative...)

Lamar Jackson missed the last several weeks of the NFL season because of bone bruise. 

• Upvote 1

Thus the paradox of pitching...

If you draft them, your draft picks are more likely to fail because pitchers are more likely to break.

If you don't draft them, your depth will be tested when the ones you have start to break.

So you better start trading those high-level position prospects soon for more arms because the depth we have in the minors isn't nearly enough.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Thus the paradox of pitching...

If you draft them, your draft picks are more likely to fail because pitchers are more likely to break.

If you don't draft them, your depth will be tested when the ones you have start to break.

So you better start trading those high-level position prospects soon for more arms because the depth we have in the minors isn't nearly enough.

No..you trade Mullins for them…a guy who likely doesn’t fall into line with the rebuild timeline.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No..you trade Mullins for them…a guy who likely doesn’t fall into line with the rebuild timeline.

Whatever the deals, there are likely to be many. I'm all for trading Mullins (in the right deal), Mancini and Santander before prospects, but the trades will need to happen on some level because our depth isn't existent.

• Upvote 1

And I don't mean to be defeatist about Means. Hopefully this really is something that goes away in a week or two, but we've all seen the worst case progression of these things.

1. Feel a twinge in the forearm.

2. Shut down for a little while.

3. Come back, look great, feel the twinge again.

4. Shut down for longer.

5. Come back, feel it again.

6. TJ Surgery

7. Out 1+ years just for surgery.

8. Two years from now some team will have John Means just coming back from the twinge he felt last night.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lamar Jackson missed the last several weeks of the NFL season because of bone bruise. 

Haha, well fair enough. I guess we don't know the extent of the bruise for Stowers, but I just sorta assumed it was a basic plunking and he'd be alright after a day off. But, ya know, state secrets and all... 

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Means
Diaz 
Adley

I forgot Dean Kremer of course. Bad as he is, that's a pretty big blow to the depth. 

Now we just need Jordan Lyles to have a minor elbow twinge to reduce him to a Once Through The Order Guy for the next couple few weeks, and we can conduct a clean experiment on if 14 Once Through The Order Guys can staff an entire slate of innings during the MLB season.

Today's Starting Pitcher?    What's a Starting Pitcher?

I cannot rule out that even if he is good the first MLB start of 100 pitches for Grayson Rodriguez is going to be the 54th start of his career.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

Haha, well fair enough. I guess we don't know the extent of the bruise for Stowers, but I just sorta assumed it was a basic plunking and he'd be alright after a day off. But, ya know, state secrets and all... 

Well he played last night, so at least it’s over with.

13 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, almost guarantee it will be Ellis.  I'm sure Elias is also checking to see if Eshelmans been released yet. 

Well, Ellis pitched last night, so he's lined up for that next start.  

Some interesting points per the Tides press release this morning:

Chris Ellis was stellar in his Tides debut, tossing 4.0 no-hit innings, walking one and striking out five, facing just one batter over the minimum. Dating back to last season, Ellis has allowed just three earned runs in 21.1 innings of work over his last five starts across all levels.

[but...]

Ellis was backed by some stellar defensive play from the Tides, with Johnny Rizer making a leaping catch out in center field in the first inning, while Robert Neustrom took a home run away from Oswald Peraza with a spectacular grab in the fourth.