John Means 2022

Il BuonO

I know we've talked about the wall helping baby LHP survive in the big bad major leagues, but I am also curious to see how it can help a good pitcher get even better surface stats.

Means has to me always been a guy who sets his dial to Yield HR, not Walks, to the extent all pitchers always have to bargain with one or the other.

I am kind of hoping we nurse him Brewers style with a lot of 5-day rests to try and get him through 6-months as a SP without an interruption.    He had several uninterrupted minors full seasons.    Maybe turn him looser in the last month or two if the rest and wall help the ERA so much he has the random Keuchel shot in a Cy race.

I believe John Means has a 50/50-ish shot to be a Top 10 ERA qualifier in the 2022 AL.    He trailed only Carlos Rodon in WHIP last year among AL pitchers 120 innings and up, including beating Robbie Ray, though homer happy Camden pushed his ERA high.

• Like 1

The Athletc has an article putting starting pitchers into Tiers today.   John Means ranks 43rd, in Tier 5 - “Guys.”

43. John Means, LHP, Baltimore Orioles

Rating: 59
Ace votes: 1
2021 stats: 6-9, 3.62 ERA, 146.2 IP, 8.2 K/9, 4.62 FIP
2021 rating: Not ranked

Means continues to log innings for a team going nowhere. “No. 3 results, but wouldn’t value him as a No. 3 in a trade,” one scout said.

https://theathletic.com/3231273/2022/04/06/aces-project-rankings-mlb-starting-pitchers/

So, (1) there are 30 teams in baseball, (2) Means ranks 43rd among starting pitchers, but (3) his trade value is below that of a no. 3 starter?   I will never understand the logic and nomenclature used to describe pitchers.