Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

Is really not swinging at anything not a strike right now. Walked four time last night. Looked like the pitchers wanted nothing with him trying to throw a bunch of junk at him.

Since July 1st Oritz is slashing .406/.455/.683/1.139 with 8 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 10 BB and 14K in 112 PAs.

I'd say he's earned some AAA time. Westburg needs to start playing 2B and 3B mostly anyways. Ortiz can rotate with Gunnar at 3B, take his other reps at 2B moving Westburg to 3B.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is really not swinging at anything not a strike right now. Walked four time last night. Looked like the pitchers wanted nothing with him trying to throw a bunch of junk at him.

Since July 1st Oritz is slashing .406/.455/.683/1.139 with 8 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 100 BB and 14K in 112 PAs.

I'd say he's earned some AAA time. Westburg needs to start playing 2B and 3B mostly anyways. Ortiz can rotate with Gunnar at 3B, take his other reps at 2B moving Westburg to 3B.

With Vavra up, it's easier to get Ortiz 2B/SS reps up at Norfolk.  Promotion next Monday?     Ortiz has to be checking the boxes need for a promotion.   He certainly has enough time at AA and this hot streak is becoming the longest hot streak ever.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Since July 1st Oritz is slashing .406/.455/.683/1.139 with 8 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 100 BB and 14K in 112 PAs.

That walk rate is incredible!  ;) 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I know right! ;) I fixed it, thanks.

Ha, all good.  I really like Ortiz.  Passes the eye test for me with flying colors.  I think some of the prospect position shuffling is becoming clearer.  Gunnar and Prieto are 3B to me.  I like Westburg more at 2B though he has more trade value if he stays at SS.  With Vavra, Mateo and Urias around, Norby hitting well at Bowie, add in Holliday, and some interesting kids at lower levels... this is getting super fun.

8 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Ortiz should be in Norfolk. Heck bring him up to the O’s to play second. (Not going to happen for a variety of reasons)

It's not like he isn't trying, though.  What I've noticed about his demeanor is that he's all business.  From the time he comes out on the field to warm up right up through the last pitch.  I've seen Cowser sign autographs every game, joke around a bit while he's in the on-deck circle, but Ortiz seems intent upon proving his value with the limited exposure he's got.  I love the intensity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, seak05 said:

Ortiz should be in Norfolk. Heck bring him up to the O’s to play second. (Not going to happen for a variety of reasons)

The primary one being that one hot month in Double A isn't enough to promote a guy who has struggled at the plate for the majority of his professional career, straight to the Majors. 

When does a hot streak become something more?   This is about 5 weeks of OPS over 1.000.  Actually over 1.100.    As August starts, he hasn't slowed down one bit.   If anything, he's doing even better, which is kind of hard to fathom.   I will be suprised if he's not in Norfolk next week.  He's done enough.  He just turned 24.   He's got to be in the conversation for next year's roster whether at SS or 2B.    Has Ortiz bypassed Westburg?   Is he about to?