Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

It seems like no one is a true believer yet.  No one talks about this guy as the future 2B or SS.  He’s been on an amazing run since July 1.   He has been the best performer in the organization over that time. Elite defensive player at SS or 2B.   Power, including oppo power.  Decent speed.  Best contact rate among top prospects.   There is room for Henderson, Westburg, and Ortiz on next years team.   He’s got to be in the discussion.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Seems like Ortiz vs. Westburg is the battle to watch now.  

And of course, that doesn't even bring Norby into account.

I don't know how it shakes out next year but I can envision Westburg at 3B, Henderson at SS, with Ortiz at 2B at some point.  

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I don't know how it shakes out next year but I can envision Westburg at 3B, Henderson at SS, with Ortiz at 2B at some point.  

I think if these are your three, Ortiz is at short, Henderson 3b and westburg at 2b

Ortiz is better at SS then Henderson, and Henderson is a potential GG at third 

• Like 1

Fangraphs has Ortiz as a future 60 glove at SS and of course Tony loves his D too! with the bat becoming realer everyday , I'd love to see him as the UTIL guy with Henderson at 3rd, and give Mateo every opportunity early on next year to see if the bat wasn't just a flash in tge pan, with Ortiz in the waiting need be.

to me Westburg more and more feels like the first trade piece to be dangled in front of clubs

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

Fangraphs has Ortiz as a future 60 glove at SS and of course Tony loves his D too! with the bat becoming realer everyday , I'd love to see him as the UTIL guy with Henderson at 3rd, and give Mateo every opportunity early on next year to see if the bat wasn't just a flash in tge pan, with Ortiz in the waiting need be.

to me Westburg more and more feels like the first trade piece to be dangled in front of clubs

Sentimentally I completely understand the thought that SS is Mateo’s with his play this year and his involvement in our turnaround. I guess my question would be is he part of our best team? Or do you move on and have Ortiz, Westburg and Gunnar in the infield (all 3 can play short) and then have Urias as your utility? I don’t know if any of us have that answer but I believe that is your highest upside IF.

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It seems like no one is a true believer yet.  No one talks about this guy as the future 2B or SS.  He’s been on an amazing run since July 1.   He has been the best performer in the organization over that time. Elite defensive player at SS or 2B.   Power, including oppo power.  Decent speed.  Best contact rate among top prospects.   There is room for Henderson, Westburg, and Ortiz on next years team.   He’s got to be in the discussion.

He’s definitely in the discussion.  He had a very nice first week at Norfolk.   My guess is the O’s brass will want him to get a bit more AAA time next year, but he should get a hard look in spring training.  

54 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

I agree, I just don’t see the front office paying 35-40+ million per year for Verlander or Codon. Trading Mullins or Santander plus one of our team top 10 prospect (Westburg , Norby or Cowser) makes more sense to get pitching. Due to age, Ortiz is probably viewed an util guy to other teams.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

28 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I agree, I just don’t see the front office paying 35-40+ million per year for Verlander or Codon. Trading Mullins or Santander plus one of our team top 10 prospect (Westburg , Norby or Cowser) makes more sense to get pitching. Due to age, Ortiz is probably viewed an util guy to other teams.

Due to age?  He just turned 24 in July.

55 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Ortiz was taken in the same draft as Stowers and Rutschmann.   He's younger than both of them.   He will be 24 at the start of next year and turn 25 in July.   He missed almost a full season to labrum surgery and it took him awhile to get going this year.   The COVID year cost all of these guys valuable development time.   Enough with the age card and Joey Ortiz!!!!!    lol

This year is basically his first full year in the system!!   Enough already!   I'd say he's done pretty well.   He's a real prospect!

Edited by RZNJ

11 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I'm starting to think Ortiz is a better option at second than Westburg next year. I think he could play short, but it seems that job is Mateo's until Jackson Holliday makes it. I love what Urias has done also, but maybe he is the super utility guy or part of a trade.

I could see Westburg or Ortiz as a super utility guy with the other starting.    I don't know about Mateo.  He's slipping into old habits and the Orioles may envision Henderson as a SS.   Ortiz is also a plus SS.    Mateo might not have a ton of value but he's proven himself to be a ML starting SS this year.   I think he might get moved.    I could see Urias surviving for now as the OD 3B next year with Henderson at SS and Westburg/Ortiz at 2B.    OR it could be Mateo as SS with Henderson at 3B and Ortiz/Westburg at 2B with Urias as a the super sub.   There is a lot of flexibility there.

• Upvote 1