Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

15 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Question on Ortiz vs. Hernaiz-- Ortiz's defense is considered far superior, right? Hernaiz there are questions whether he can stick at SS? 

Not sure about Hernaiz but Ortiz just made another stellar play, charging and then scooping the ball to Norby who then fired to first for a DP. Real nice play, bottom of the 4th (in case you want to look for it in the game replay later).

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Question on Ortiz vs. Hernaiz-- Ortiz's defense is considered far superior, right? Hernaiz there are questions whether he can stick at SS? 

Correct. Hernaiz probably winds up at 2B or 3B.   

• Upvote 1

I don’t know but Ortiz just flew from first to third on a single that Prieto tried stretching into a double, and when they muffed the play at 2B he flew home to score. (Top of the 9th for those wanting to look later. Some interesting scoring this half inning by the guys!)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Not even close. Ortiz has a much better arm and more range and better hands. Henaiz will be at 2B or the outfield.

• Upvote 1

In his chat Keith Law responded to a question asking who is the most underrated player in the Orioles system is by saying it was Ortiz. He indicated that in his opinion Ortiz was the Orioles 5th best prospect behind Henderson/Rodriguez/Hall/Holliday. Take it for what it’s worth, and I’d trust @Tony-OH opinion on the subject more.

https://theathletic.com/3466129/2022/08/01/keith-law-mlb-prospects-trade-deadline/

4 hours ago, Sydnor said:

In his chat Keith Law responded to a question asking who is the most underrated player in the Orioles system is by saying it was Ortiz. He indicated that in his opinion Ortiz was the Orioles 5th best prospect behind Henderson/Rodriguez/Hall/Holliday. Take it for what it’s worth, and I’d trust @Tony-OH opinion on the subject more.

https://theathletic.com/3466129/2022/08/01/keith-law-mlb-prospects-trade-deadline/

I think it’s been documented that Law has big heart eyes for Ortiz.

• Haha 1

The turnaround has been amazing.  Last season he broke out from being a non prospect into a player of interest.  A good defensive SS who might give you a little offense.  What he’s doing now is middle of the order stuff. OPS up to .740.  I think a promotion is imminent.

Ortiz is a plus defensive SS. If he can hit, he's a top prospect. Right now though it's still small sample size on the hitting, and he's old for the level. 

I'd like to see him move up to Triple-A asap, between 2b/3b/ss there is enough room for Henderon, Westburg and Ortiz (plus the DH)