28 man opening day roster - so who's on it?

seak05

On 3/26/2022 at 1:11 PM, seak05 said:

Less then two weeks to go:

OF: Hays, Mullins, Santander, McKenna - this position seems the most clear cut

1b/dh - Mountcastle, Mancini (with Mancini also being an OF option - they keep running him out there). Again seems clear cut

IF - Odor, Urias, Mateo, Gutierrez, Owens - Urias starts somewhere, most of these guys have position flexibility

C -  Chirinos, pick a name as seat warmer for Adley

SP - Means, Lyles, Wells, Zimmerman, Bradish - they seem to be open to Bradish making team, and no one else is making a huge push

RP - Lowther, Scott, Lopez, Fry, Lakins, Sedlock, Tate, Vespi (?), Suler, Akin - total guess, Scott, Lopez, Sulser and Tate are probably locks. Lakins is having a good spring

I think they would like the Diaz, Vavra, Stowers, Jones etc group to prove it at Triple-A first

Re-doing this with a week left

OF: same

IF: same

C : same

SP: Means, Lyles, Zimmerman, Wells, Kremer?

RP: Lopez, Scott, Fry, Tate, Baker, Bautista, Perez, Sulser, Akin, Lowther - honestly still little clarity here

11 hours ago, seak05 said:

Re-doing this with a week left

OF: same

IF: same

C : same

SP: Means, Lyles, Zimmerman, Wells, Kremer?

RP: Lopez, Scott, Fry, Tate, Baker, Bautista, Perez, Sulser, Akin, Lowther - honestly still little clarity here

I think you might have it. Roch said something about Kremer being the "lead dog".  I could see keeping Lowther as a starter in AAA and/or having Owings playing every day at AAA until needed, maybe opening a spot for Krehbiel. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think you might have it. Roch said something about Kremer being the "lead dog".  I could see keeping Lowther as a starter in AAA and/or having Owings playing every day at AAA until needed, maybe opening a spot for Krehbiel. 

Can't argue with his choice of noun.

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin is no different from Diaz.  A good spring does not get him to Baltimore.  He has to show he can do it at AAA before they promote him is my guess.

Which would be a shame IMO because he's infinitely more useful a bench player than Odor. Him and Owings on the bench would be great - two guys who can play almost any position, plus Richie can pinch run.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Which would be a shame IMO because he's infinitely more useful a bench player than Odor. Him and Owings on the bench would be great - two guys who can play almost any position, plus Richie can pinch run.

I don’t see Martin has being a more useful bench option than the Oriole Bird. 

He is AAA fodder and has very little, if any, value.

Roch had the following note today:  

The Orioles will carry four reserves on their opening day roster. They have a set outfield with Hays, Cedric Mullins and Anthony Santander, and could keep only one backup besides Trey Mancini.

“You can count Trey as an outfielder,” Hyde said. “Trey is going to get some outfield time. Trey will definitely be four and we could carry ... Our roster right now is really up for grabs, so I think we could do a variety of things.”

Based on that, I would assumeMcKenna or Stewart but not both.

So Stewart is out - DFA or AAA?