28 man opening day roster - so who's on it?

seak05

50 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Stweart and Mckenna who can both be DFAd in a heart beat

You DFA McKenna you're highly likely to lose him. And I have zero idea why on earth you'd drop your best defensive outfielder off the roster for *checks notes* Richie Martin?

Also given how often he's been out injured, and how much he struggled last year, I highly suspect the Orioles would prefer Diaz to play everyday in Triple-A, rather then once or twice a week in the majors 

Edited by seak05

Diaz has not proven that he can 1) stay healthy or 2) hit major league pitching.   The last week of ST he will see tougher pitching.   Let's see how he does.

If he does well,  having 5 players for 4 spots is something that Hyde can easily get  playing time for all of them.  Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mancini and Diaz for LF/CF/RF and DH.   Could keep them all rested.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It doesn't take much to make you happy.

Well it hasn't happened yet. I like underachievers and underdogs and younger players who still have promise, over mediocre vets and career AAAA guys. This side of contention, happiness comes in small portions like that. 

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Diaz has not proven that he can 1) stay healthy or 2) hit major league pitching.   The last week of ST he will see tougher pitching.   Let's see how he does.

If he does well,  having 5 players for 4 spots is something that Hyde can easily get  playing time for all of them.  Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mancini and Diaz for LF/CF/RF and DH.   Could keep them all rested.

Why should you have to prove something to get a shot on a team that isn't trying to win?

He's on the 40 cut him or play him.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, now said:

Well it hasn't happened yet. I like underachievers and underdogs and younger players who still have promise, over mediocre vets and career AAAA guys. This side of contention, happiness comes in small portions like that. 

You're aware that Martin is 27 right? The only 40 man Oriole position players born in an earlier year then him are Mancini and Stewart (there are several others who were also born in 94). Owings is older. 

Will be interesting to see who the Orioles play in the OF in the next week+. Given the new Camden Yards outfield, really hard for me to see any of Santander, Mancini, Diaz, or Stewart play LF or CF. Which means you'd be talking about all of them sharing 2 spots (RF/DH), with a smattering of 1b. Also I could be wrong. 

42 minutes ago, seak05 said:

You're aware that Martin is 27 right? The only 40 man Oriole position players born in an earlier year then him are Mancini and Stewart (there are several others who were also born in 94). Owings is older. 

Will be interesting to see who the Orioles play in the OF in the next week+. Given the new Camden Yards outfield, really hard for me to see any of Santander, Mancini, Diaz, or Stewart play LF or CF. Which means you'd be talking about all of them sharing 2 spots (RF/DH), with a smattering of 1b. Also I could be wrong. 

Must admit, Martin at 27 is a surprise. Another stalled by injuries. It's last chance time for a lot of these guys, position players as well as pitchers. This year is make or break. IMO the focus this year should be all about maximizing those chances to evaluate for longer term at ML level, vs. marginal-win stuff like defensive replacements and L/R matchups.

3 minutes ago, now said:

Must admit, Martin at 27 is a surprise. Another stalled by injuries. It's last chance time for a lot of these guys, position players as well as pitchers. This year is make or break. IMO the focus this year should be all about maximizing those chances to evaluate for longer term at ML level, vs. marginal-win stuff like defensive replacements and L/R matchups.

I think I read someone saying that last year and yet here we are.

6 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Stewart likely start season on DL or do people think they will finally cut bait?

McKenna better be a lock. 

Always loved the Martin pick and hoping he pulls it all together. A lot to prove though. 

So you LOVED Ritchie Martin at #20 for the A's but Stewart at 25 IN THE SAME DRAFT wasn't a good pick?

Please explain.

(Stewart .5 career rWAR, Martin -2 career rWAR) 

But hey Martin's play is more aesthetically pleasing????

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Stewart likely start season on DL or do people think they will finally cut bait?

McKenna better be a lock. 

Always loved the Martin pick and hoping he pulls it all together. A lot to prove though. 

I doubt Stewart goes on the DL unless a new x-ray reveals something. If it is just a bruise he should be ready to go in a couple days. 

2 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I have nothing against Diaz but didn’t he light it up early in spring training like 3 years ago? I don’t know if you are going to find out if this Spring may be the turning point for him unless he is playing everyday. 

I don't know if anyone cares enough to be actually upset if Diaz or Stewart is on the team, in the minors or released.

Wait, I take that back, our resident Stewart hater will be upset if he makes the team.