Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

4 IP 5 K's no walks. Only one 3 ball count so far through 4 innings. All his pitches are looking good tonight. Only see him throw one changeup but it was a good one that was swung through for a K. Mostly fastball and slider with some curveballs mixed in. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

4 IP 5 K's no walks. Only one 3 ball count so far through 4 innings. All his pitches are looking good tonight. Only see him throw one changeup but it was a good one that was swung through for a K. Mostly fastball and slider with some curveballs mixed in. 

6Ks

7 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Interesting outing by Bradish tonight. He really only gave up one hit (a ground rule double). The other hit charged to him was a grounder directly at Jones, whose feet just fell out from under him....should have been charged an error. His outing had a lot of familiar themes as last year, looking like he did early and late in the year when his breaking pitches were sharp. Both the slider and his curve had nice bite to them. He was also throwing his fastball pretty consistently around 94.

My primary critique is the same as last year. When he has a quiet landing and gets on top of his pitches, he really has pretty good command and pounds the ball low in the zone......and will be hard to hit at any level. When he's running a little late and gets jerky he tends to elevate badly. With the fastball it's just a wasted pitch that hitters will rarely wave at. When he elevates with his breaking pitches they become pretty hittable. So it's hard to argue with the results, it was a really solid outing. No walks, 6 Ks and really only one hit allowed. I still have concerns about how he'll fare against ML hitters who have better patience and get into better counts against him. Those wasted pitches aren't really costing him much in the minors. While he's got a live fastball and different arm angle than most, those fastballs in hitters counts could be a problem. And while his breaking pitches have great bend to them, when he floats them I think ML hitters will tee off.

On the flip side, and I know this sounds inconsistent with my critiques, I think he's ready. He's not going to get much out of facing AAA lineups. He needs to face ML hitters and see how his stuff plays. I don't see how any more time in the minors benefits him. I think he needs to get a taste. My guess is that he'll have moments where he looks amazing, and other moments where he gets hit hard. If he's a finished product I think he ends up as a valuable piece in the bullpen. If he can get more consistent with the timing of his mechanics I think he could be special. I'm certainly rooting for him....he could be huge for us. 

Yep.  He’s ready.  He may not end up a starter (most people don’t think he will) but it’s time to give him the ball every 5th day to find out. 

These are the types of things that should be figured out this season.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure glad he didn't have to throw 70 pitches.

Means threw 70 pitches once and look what happened to him.

I saw on one of the MASN videos Elias did give Kevin Brown a quote about letting starters go into the 6th soon.   We'll see.

I do wonder as pitch data is closely studied if this development plan simply means 80-ish pitch caps even for good young starters indefinitely.    There could be some interesting Grayson Rodriguez hooked body language interpretations coming up this summer.    Maybe they should see if Erik Bedard wants an ad hoc SP remover role.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I saw on one of the MASN videos Elias did give Kevin Brown a quote about letting starters go into the 6th soon.   We'll see.

I do wonder as pitch data is closely studied if this development plan simply means 80-ish pitch caps even for good young starters indefinitely.    There could be some interesting Grayson Rodriguez hooked body language interpretations coming up this summer.    Maybe they should see if Erik Bedard wants an ad hoc SP remover role.

The stuff I've read in the last decade or so points to the stress of inning, or innings as being more important than overall pitch counts.

The theory is that high stress innings are more likely to be problematic than the type of dominant performance Grayson tends to have.

• Upvote 1