Would you give Tex a 3 year opt out option???

bigbird

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to what crstoner said... If Tex were to sign here I am confident he would stay for his full contract and not opt-out. I know Boras client always opt-out but I think that if Tex were to come here that he would not want to leave after the love he will have received from the fans, media and city of Baltimore.

If you do not believe in your ability to be very competitive in 3 years, is not this all for naught?

If you ink Tex, and he plays here for 3 years… you have already proven you can sign him once… and after playing here for 3 years, it should be that much harder for him to leave.

It would be unacceptable on every-level if this is what the O's dug in their heels with.

I think what bothers people is the "heads I win, tails you lose" nature of the agreement. Let's say Tex comes here and underperforms by a lot, and the team goes nowhere, he can still get the full value of his deal by opting in. If he comes here and does well, and the team is doing well, he can leverage that into even more money. All the risk is on the team, which already is taking an enormous risk.

Look at Burnett. He signs a five year deal with Toronto, and in the first two years he misses a ton of starts. Then in the third year he plays a full season and he's in position to opt out.

But, that's life in the big city.

Of course you would give him an opt-out clause.... you do what is necessary to obtain him now, and you spend the next 3 years making it good enough around him that he wants to stay.

Tex has talked about wanting security, wanting to build a home for him and his wife.... Texas, Atlanta, LA.... opt-out clause or not, he is not going anywhere after he signs this contract.

There is a zero percent chance a Boras client would not exercise an opt out clause regardless of how happy they are etc. Not saying he wouldn't stay, but we would have to negotiate another mega-deal to keep him here.

I would tie it to wins and losses. If the Orioles win at least 230 games over the next 3 seasons then he stays. If then win fewer he can leave. I would give him three as I think he would love playing here.

I would hope if he did sign, the big 3 come up, etc that we would average more than 76 wins per season, which is what 230 over three years comes to.

I personally find opt out contracts to be contradictory. Since almost all players opt out, why not just sign a 3 or 4 year deal? Oh, that's right, then the player and agent wouldn't be holding all the cards and have every advantage.

I am usually on the side of the player because I can't fault someone for making as much as they can but agents like Boras are ruining the game. Every other major sport has a Salary Cap except MLB. That is starting to make less and less sense.

How about a vesting opt-out where the clause vests in the event that certain performance metrics are met, or in the event that certain underperformance metrics in relation to the team, wins-losses are met? That would seem to be the perfect pay for performance type of option that would satisfy both sides. I am on team Belky BTW, sorry BB:D

FYI... I have no idea if he's signed with another team yet.

But you are asking questions where it seems that you think he is going to go elsewhere for less money...Do you believe this to be true based on what you are being told?

BTW, this is a tough question.

Unless he has been hurt or he sucks, he will, without question, opt out after 3 years..Now, he may very well re-sign here but it will take more money.

I would really rather have the opt out after 5 years, not 3.

Even if we are winning and he loves it here, he will still opt out...There is no doubt about that.

So, I am not sure if I would do it after 3 years...5? No doubt about it.

Archived