DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

Not saying that. Of course, you still develop in the majors. I'd just like to see our prospects show they are ready to move up by dominating at that level.

The second is someone who isn't really a top prospect but may provide depth or fill in for a while.

6 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Not saying that. Of course, you still develop in the majors. I'd just like to see our prospects show they are ready to move up by dominating at that level.

The second is someone who isn't really a top prospect but may provide depth or fill in for a while.

GRod has done this.

MLB Network was talking about Kyle Wright the other day and I thought it was interesting since so many fans here are in a rush to skip levels. The Braves left Wright in AAA for, basically, two full years.

2019 AAA IL Gwinnett Stripers 11 4 .733 4.17 21 21 0 0 0 0 112.3 107 55 52 13 35 0 116 12 1 6 476
2021 AAA AAAE Gwinnett Stripers 10 5 .667 3.02 24 24 0 2 2 0 137.0 117 52 46 9 45 0 137 6 0 12 566

Just now, byrdz said:

Over his last 7 games he has a 1.23 ERA and 1.09 WHIP. 

19 pitches. 15 strikes.  The stuff isn’t as lights out as I was expecting but if he can locate he’ll be plenty good.  He’s got starters stuff.  He’s got a good delivery.  

• Upvote 2

On 10/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, byrdz said:

Over his last 7 games he has a 1.23 ERA and 1.09 WHIP. 

Actually, in his final 8 games he had a 1.04 ERA, and opposing batters had a .543 OPS against him.  His FIP was 1.27 in those games.  So, he really rebounded well after those 2 shaky outings in his first 3 games.  I think that should allow him to come into spring training relaxed and prepared.   

14 hours ago, NCRaven said:

When he’s on, Hall has the filthiest stuff in our system.  Just needs to be consistent.

It’s one of those things where the “just” is a big question.  A lot of players fail to have impact in the majors because they’re never able to “just be consistent.”    Tanner Scott comes to mind immediately.   Some days you’d wonder how anyone ever hit him, other days you’d wonder if he had any idea what zip code the strike zone was in.   

To be clear, Hall is a better athlete and has a better repertoire than Scott.   His chances of developing consistency are a lot better, I think, and the upside if he does is greater.   But, it’s not guaranteed to happen, by a long shot.  And it may not happen overnight, either.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I haven’t seen too many “I told you guys he doesn’t belong here” posts lately.  Thank you, Mr. Hall.

I think Hall started off a little too amped up.   He does have a tendency towards wildness and obviously when emotions are running high that’s a time when that trait can come out.  Kudos to Elias and Hyde for sticking with him and giving him a chance to get his feet back on the ground.  

Now the issue is whether he can be sufficiently pitch-efficient to be a starter in the majors.  His last 8.2 innings, he averaged 17.7 pitches per inning.  That’s not awful, couid get him through 5+ and ocassionally 6 IP.  Of course, he only walked 2 batters in that span and honestly he’s more likely to be a 4+ BB/9 guy, especially next year.  

In any event, I think the time he spent in the majors will allow him to be much better prepared and focused coming into 2023 than he would have been if they’d kept him in AAA following that one bad start.   I’m looking forward to seeing the 2023 version of Hall.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Hall started off a little too amped up.   He does have a tendency towards wildness and obviously when emotions are running high that’s a time when that trait can come out.  Kudos to Elias and Hyde for sticking with him and giving him a chance to get his feet back on the ground.  

Now the issue is whether he can be sufficiently pitch-efficient to be a starter in the majors.  His last 8.2 innings, he averaged 17.7 pitches per inning.  That’s not awful, couid get him through 5+ and ocassionally 6 IP.  Of course, he only walked 2 batters in that span and honestly he’s more likely to be a 4+ BB/9 guy, especially next year.  

In any event, I think the time he spent in the majors will allow him to be much better prepared and focused coming into 2023 than he would have been if they’d kept him in AAA following that one bad start.   I’m looking forward to seeing the 2023 version of Hall.   

I'd love the story behind the one start, on the road, without Adley catching him.

Has to be something juicy going on with that.

If you look at him just as a reliever this season he was perfectly serviceable.

As for pitch efficiency?  In today's game I'll take a guy that can give me five dominant innings a start.

Bullpens can absorb that as long as the whole staff doesn't do it.

Edited by Can_of_corn