DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They could have waited another year, see what his value is and still end up with 2-3 Zimmermann clones and likely more than that. 

If there's one thing Austin Voth should teach all fans it's this...

If you have talented players that aren't performing, it's the development people that need to go, not the players.

Doing it all over again, I'd have hired Elias before making any trades of any kind. The whole point was Duquette/Showalter were failing at this point. So why let failing people make hugely consequential trades? 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If you have talented players that aren't performing, it's the development people that need to go, not the players.

Doing it all over again, I'd have hired Elias before making any trades of any kind. The whole point was Duquette/Showalter were failing at this point. So why let failing people make hugely consequential trades? 

Well because John A had taken over and all he cared about was saving money.  Doesn’t matter who makes the trades when you don’t care about the return.

That said, it does seem like the Os probably screwed up Gausman when he was here and wasted his talent.  Not that we are surprised by that.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well because John A had taken over and all he cared about was saving money.  Doesn’t matter who makes the trades when you don’t care about the return.

That's definitely the driving reason. He didn't want to spend many millions more than he had to on a terrible team. 

I just think he wasn't seeing the forest for the trees. A faster rebuild helps the bottom line too. Is it more than a 1/2 season tear down? I don't know, but it's a shame they felt compelled to let Duquette make those moves. 

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, after one 1 inning appearance, after weeks of terrible pitching, you expect people to just change their minds?

I mean damn, Odor hit a homer yesterday.  He should be starting every game!!!!  

No. I expect some type of comment after the good outing from you or Roll Tide.  You could have said good outing but I'm not buying.  You post in every thread.  Somehow, in two days you had  no chance to comment on that outing.  As soon as he has a bad outing you and Tide suddenly are able to post about Hall again.  Miraculous!!!

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Are you saying that they should have just held onto their trade assets until the end of the season?  Let Manny walk for the draft pick?  Kept Britton?

Or should they have hired a new GM during the season?

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No. I expect some type of comment after the good outing from you or Roll Tide.  You could have said good outing but I'm not buying.  You post in every thread.  Somehow, in two days you had  no chance to comment on that outing.  As soon as he has a bad outing you and Tide suddenly are able to post about Hall again.  Miraculous!!!

I just didn’t feel the need to comment.  Like Tony, I didn’t see it.  I was at the game but left before he got out there.

I had already said, several times, that I don’t think he should be here.  Commenting on one 15 pitch performance doesn’t change that. I also didn’t comment after some of his AAA relief appearances either.  

The only people that would actually care about this are trolls.

Edited by Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you saying that they should have just held onto their trade assets until the end of the season?  Let Manny walk for the draft pick?  Kept Britton?

Or should they have hired a new GM during the season?

I guess they had to do some of it based on the situation they created, but that's not exactly a feather in their caps.

All of these what if scenarios can go out the window. 

You make the best decisions for right now and worry about game 2 when it gets here. It was a close game. You play to win the game now.

What if game 2 would have been an O's 10-0 blowout and you never used any of the big guns?

We can what if this sh-t to death.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That said, it does seem like the O's probably screwed up Gausman when he was here and wasted his talent.  Not that we are surprised by that.

It's pretty clear by almost all indications that prior to the Elias regime, there was not a lot of "coaching up" players going in the minors or majors. 

Gausman is just one of several players that just figured out later. Maybe it was coaching, maybe it was him just finding out who he was and who is wasn't. But it was clear that the Orioles previous regime was not a big developer.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I do agree that the situation was higher than it's LI index would indicate, but by LI, it was a low leverage situation. 

My biggest concern is Hall overall honestly. His stuff is playing down right now so why put him in any kind of one-run game late in the game? I get that it was a double header, but he was just a very odd choice. Baker had only thrown 21 pitches and we were down by two, why not let him finish off the 8th? If down by two, fine, let Hall have that inning but honestly I probably would have used Sulser instead and saved Hall for length if needed in game two.

Either way, Hall's stuff is not grading that great in statcast and I know it's better than that. I think he's tired or hit a brick wall. They should only use him in blow outs or consider shutting him down because his command has been pretty bad for sometime now, including in AAA where he was getting beat up a bit since Mid-July.

I am not sure but isn't this the first time that Hall has pitched on only one days rest in his Oriole career? Obviously he was a starter till very recently. Thought I read recently that the Orioles wanted to give him around two or three days rest between relief outings because he is just started relieving and history of injuries. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I am not sure but isn't this the first time that Hall has pitched on only one days rest in his Oriole career? Obviously he was a starter till very recently. Thought I read recently that the Orioles wanted to give him around two or three days rest between relief outings because he is just started relieving and history of injuries. 

Good point. The best I have him doing prior to this was two days rest between his next to last and last outing in AAA. This was the first time in his pro career that he was pitching on one days rest.

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

That's definitely the driving reason. He didn't want to spend many millions more than he had to on a terrible team. 

I just think he wasn't seeing the forest for the trees. A faster rebuild helps the bottom line too. Is it more than a 1/2 season tear down? I don't know, but it's a shame they felt compelled to let Duquette make those moves. 

Some of the moves were expiring assets like Machado.  Obviously the O's shouldn't have waited that long to trade Machado.  At this point, the comp pick might be better than anything they got from LA. Jury is still out on Zimmerman.