Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers is slashing .333/.433/.708/1.141 in his last ten days over 30 PAs. 
He's slashing .302/.384/.698/1.082 in his last 30 days over 99 PAs.

He's 24 years old. It's time for him to get major league PAs. He's going to strike out a ton at first, but I'd rather him see major league pitching this year than next.

I see references to age a lot the last few years. What difference does it make if he comes up at 24 or 25 or 26 or whatever?

I always want to see our prospects have huge success at AAA before coming up, even though it rarely happens anymore.

8 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I see references to age a lot the last few years. What difference does it make if he comes up at 24 or 25 or 26 or whatever?

I always want to see our prospects have huge success at AAA before coming up, even though it rarely happens anymore.

Because the longer you wait, the shorter his peak life span is going to be.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Because the longer you wait, the shorter his peak life span is going to be.

The lost 2020 MiL season has really played havoc with the timing of player debuts.  Here’s the median age of debut since 2019:

2019: 24.298

2020: 24.249

2021: 25.164

2022: 25.148 (to date)

I think if you could fast forward to 2025 you’d see numbers in the 2019-20 range again.    But it will take a while to work it’s way down there due to all the players who missed a year of development.  

Back to Stowers, he’s 24.159 as of today.    Hopefully he gets an opportunity this summer.   

.900 OPS. It’s “power” driven?  Since when is that a bad thing? Isn’t the argument always that a player’s power numbers will go down as they progress because pitcher’s will challenge him more?  Look how he’s adjusted his SO/BB rate versus last season in AAA.

In AAA, he’s striking out less, walking more, and hitting more HR.   

AAA

2021: 32 SO:12 BB in 93 PA, .407 SLG

2022: 51 SO: 22 BB in 201 PA, .549 SLG

SSS of course. Covid 2020. NCAA pick. He’s breezed through the system all things considered.

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.900 OPS. It’s “power” driven?  Since when is that a bad thing? Isn’t the argument always that a player’s power numbers will go down as they progress because pitcher’s will challenge him more?  Look how he’s adjusted his SO/BB rate versus last season in AAA.

In AAA, he’s striking out less, walking more, and hitting more HR.   

AAA

2021: 32 SO:12 BB in 93 PA, .407 SLG

2022: 51 SO: 22 BB in 201 PA, .549 SLG

SSS of course. Covid 2020. NCAA pick. He’s breezed through the system all things considered.

Always?

OBP is more valuable than Slugging.  That's why we have wOBA.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Always?

OBP is more valuable than Slugging.  That's why we have wOBA.

The knock is always that players won’t get those BB as they move up because pitchers are better and will challenge them more. It’s SSS, but he’s getting challenged this year and hitting for more power, while improving his SO:BB rate. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The knock is always that players won’t get those BB as they move up because pitchers are better and will challenge them more. It’s SSS, but he’s getting challenged this year and hitting for more power, while improving his SO:BB rate. 

I'm aware, the question is, how much power is needed to sustain the walk rate. 

But what I said is still accurate, slugging fueled OPS is less valuable that OBP.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think you’re mistaking my “power driven” comment as a criticism, rather than an observation.  There’s no “bad” way to have a .900+ OPS.   I think everyone should be very pleased with Stowers’ AAA performance so far this year.  He’s been a little streaky, but the overall numbers are impressive.  

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm aware, the question is, how much power is needed to sustain the walk rate. 

But what I said is still accurate, slugging fueled OPS is less valuable that OBP.

His wOBA is .385.   Not too shabby.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't being critical of Stowers.  I was just talking about OBP vs Slugging.

Didn’t say you were.   And your point is correct, though it’s not that big a difference.  For example, take JD Martinez and Rafael Devers:

Martinez: .415 OBP, .543 SLG, .958 OPS, .414 wOBA

Devers: .368 OBP, .592 SLG, .960 OPS, .411 wOBA

You can see from that example that the better OBP counts more heavily in wOBA, but it’s not too drastic.

The other piece is that it depends somewhat whether the OBP is BA-driven or BB-driven.   For two guys with the same OBP and SLG, the guy with the higher BA will have the higher wOBA.  That’s because a hit is more valuable than a walk since it potentially can move a runner more than one base.

• Upvote 1