Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

On 5/28/2022 at 10:14 AM, orioles22 said:

I know batting average isn't a thing these days, but I'd like to see someone hitting better than .260 when there is no reason to hurry.

Given that his strikeout rate is down to 23.6%, I think his .260 batting average can be at least partially attributed to bad luck. He has a .293 BABIP which is a little low for a player who hits the ball hard and isn't a total oaf on the base paths. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn't give him a Mountcastle comp only because his plate discipline and patience is much better but his bat to ball skills aren't as good.   But his overall offensive game might be equivalent if things go well.

Here's a fun fact, Mountcastle is only 13 months older than Stowers. Mountcastle was 24 last year in the big leagues. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's a fun fact, Mountcastle is only 13 months older than Stowers. Mountcastle was 24 last year in the big leagues. 

There's no doubt that getting drafted out of HS gets you to the majors quicker than going to college.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m hoping his floor is Luke Scott with much better defense. Scott was also very streaky.  Bat Stowers 6th just like Scott. A streaky bat can carry a team for a week. 

I’d say Scott, with better defense and perhaps better health, would be a good ceiling case.   Scott was a very good offensive player despite a middling BA.

• Like 1

Josh H. Smith from the Gallo trade this week became the first 2019 2nd rounder to make the Show....Stowers still looking in good shape to be near the front of that group debut-wise, like you'd expect with a college bat.

Stowers 2022 International League K% rate of 24.0 today is right next to Jarren Duran, who has scuffled with striking out a good deal in his first cups of coffee.    The only way out is through.

Stowers is slashing .333/.433/.708/1.141 in his last ten days over 30 PAs. 
He's slashing .302/.384/.698/1.082 in his last 30 days over 99 PAs.

He's 24 years old. It's time for him to get major league PAs. He's going to strike out a ton at first, but I'd rather him see major league pitching this year than next.

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers is slashing .333/.433/.708/1.141 in his last ten days over 30 PAs. 
He's slashing .302/.384/.698/1.082 in his last 30 days over 99 PAs.

He's 24 years old. It's time for him to get major league PAs. He's going to strike out a ton at first, but I'd rather him see major league pitching this year than next.

How are you going to make room for him to play?  Right now we are sitting one of the OF, DH, or 1B to get Rutschman DH at-bats.  Do you trade Mancini or Santander?

27 minutes ago, baltfan said:

How are you going to make room for him to play?  Right now we are sitting one of the OF, DH, or 1B to get Rutschman DH at-bats.  Do you trade Mancini or Santander?

Wait for Hays or Santander to go on the IL?    Can they both get through the same season without it?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I think you have to see what you can get for Santander or Mancini now. Waiting is not going to bring up their value. 

59 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Today Fangraphs Playoff Odds give 18 of the 30 Clubs chances of 10% or better, they have 36 1B/DH positions.

Today Trey Mancini's 138 OPS+ is 9th out of 37 counting the 36 guys B-Ref considers 1B/DH starters for those teams, plus him.

Notable (sub) Replacement Level Killers:

Red Sox 1B, White Sox DH, Guardians DH, Astros 1B, Mariners DH, Braves DH, Brewers DH

• Upvote 2