Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I do.  Give up a chance to see more of the young talent that's finally making it to the majors, not stuck watching someone that has a slim chance to just be the fourth outfielder of the future.  While the game last night over all sucked as we were soundly beaten, I enjoyed watching every at bat of Stowers, Adley, etc, the players I expect to be major contributors when we are competitive again.  McKenna really isn't in that conversation beyond perhaps a bench player. JMO.

Stowers is a better prospect, but there's only a one year age difference between the two players. If anything Rutschman should be catching tonight and then you can rest Chirinos while playing Stowers and McKenna. 

Hyde (or more likely Sig) wants to go with a right handed dominant lineup tonight against the southpaw Kikuchi which is tough luck for Stowers. It's likely he gets into the game later when the Blue Jays get into the bullpen. 

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I do.  Give up a chance to see more of the young talent that's finally making it to the majors, not stuck watching someone that has a slim chance to just be the fourth outfielder of the future.  While the game last night over all sucked as we were soundly beaten, I enjoyed watching every at bat of Stowers, Adley, etc, the players I expect to be major contributors when we are competitive again.  McKenna really isn't in that conversation beyond perhaps a bench player. JMO.

Exactly. I have nothing against McKenna but there's guys like him available every year for nothing. Stowers is a potential middle of the order bat playing 4 games out of necessity. He has way more on the line. Not to mention that Toronto puts up ridiculous runs and the Orioles don't.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

And he's a bench player who's getting a rare start when we are facing not only a lefty, but a lefty who in his entire career has allowed an OPS nearly 200 points higher vs Rh than vs LH.   That is significant and far beyond the splits that most lefty pitchers have exhibited.  On a night when one of our best righthanded bats is out with an injury too.

So let's not get too upset about it.   We face righties the next two days, Stowers will definitely be in the lineup then.   And as @Just Regular points out, he is available to hit once we get to the bullpen so he could very well see an at bat in a key spot later tonight an yway.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Exactly.  We are rebuilding and we pretty much know at this point that McKenna is not a long term answer or piece, so why give him a start over Stowers who may be a long term piece?  

If he isn’t going to start a game vs a LHP on a Turf field during a 4 game series then when he is going to play?

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If he isn’t going to start a game vs a LHP on a Turf field during a 4 game series then when he is going to play?

McKenna?  I don't really care when he plays, to be honest.  But when he plays it should be to give a break to one of our established starters not taking away 1/4 of the starts that a temporary and new talent in MLB has the chance to get before going back to AAA once the team leaves Canada.  McKenna can get more chances once Stowers is back in AAA.  It's not the end of world, but I was looking forward to watching the game tonight partly to see Stowers, and now we won't get to do so, at least not for the first 1/2 of the game most likely.  Just disappointing as the young talent is the main reason to watch this year, and we are having him ride the bench for McKenna today.  

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

If I understand what's happening correctly, he's only up for the 4 games in Toronto, right?  At least for now.  If that's the case, then why no start him all 4 games?  Do we really need to see more of Ryan M.?

The only positive is that now the O's have a player on the bench who can hit.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who Santander?  When Stowers is up, he’ll be playing. 

You haven't been paying attention I guess.

Santander couldn't make the trip to Toronto, presumably because he isn't vaccinated against Covid.

Stowers is up replacing him.   He started last night and got his first major league hit.   He's sitting tonight vs a lefthanded pitcher who gives up an OPS 200 points higher to righthanded hitters than left throughout his career.

10 hours ago, waroriole said:

Can we just get Vavra up here in place of McKenna? I’ve seen enough. 

Vavra is 3 months younger than McKenna and has played 59 games at AA or higher.

I doubt he would be a more effective Major Leaguer than McKenna (who actually has a positive WAR) at this point.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gausman has been really tough on lefties. 

Right, but why not go ahead and get him the ABs so he can use it as a learning experience, even if he goes 0-for?

He’s going back to Norfolk anyway after this game. He should be getting as much playing time as possible while he’s up. 

• Upvote 1