Interesting Cuts?

Bahama O's Fan

On 4/26/2022 at 11:26 AM, Pushmonkey said:

I’m at a point of saying why not put Gunner at 3rd now. There is a lack of prospects there. I think that’s why the obsession on Nevin. 

I think Nevin is running out of time here but to be clear, I think in another org with slightly more time he could be a good asset. A change of scenery could help him. Doubt you get much in a trade but would help him, Angels?

3 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Touki Toussaint has been DFA’d by the Braves.  26 years old.  

This is a no brained BUT with the braves org, always a major injury is imminent so my guess that shoulder injury he had last year could be more. If he gets to us, worth more than st least 5/40 on the roster, particularly if he has to go to 60 day DL.

49 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I think Nevin is running out of time here but to be clear, I think in another org with slightly more time he could be a good asset. A change of scenery could help him. Doubt you get much in a trade but would help him, Angels?

He's not nearly as good as Renato Nunez, who basically crashed and burned after leaving the O's.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

The Angels are here from the 7th through the 10th. I think once Nevin’s dad leaves town he too will be on his way, either back to Norfolk or on to greener pastures in another organization. 

5 hours ago, LA2 said:

He's not nearly as good as Renato Nunez, who basically crashed and burned after leaving the O's.

Nunez was a pretty successful hitter at the ML level with impressive power unlike Nevin at this point. Also, without looking up fielding stats, Nevin a bit better defensively and can play more positions. Not sure how those two are related.

I know it’s cool to crap all over players when they are failing but not sure Nevin can’t still be a successful major league player in the right situation. 

8 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

This is a no brained BUT with the braves org, always a major injury is imminent so my guess that shoulder injury he had last year could be more. If he gets to us, worth more than st least 5/40 on the roster, particularly if he has to go to 60 day DL.

Not really …a 6+ era at AAA and he’s in his final option year. More than injuries he’s been plagued with control issues.

55 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not really …a 6+ era at AAA and he’s in his final option year. More than injuries he’s been plagued with control issues.

We’d have to pull a small trade for him since there are multiple rebuilding teams in front of us in the waiver process. They’re in a 40 man crunch so they’d likely want someone off the 40 man. I’m not sure they would want Odor even with Albies out. Maybe a guy like Zach Watson or Kevin Smith. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’d have to pull a small trade for him since there are multiple rebuilding teams in front of us in the waiver process. They’re in a 40 man crunch so they’d likely want someone off the 40 man. I’m not sure they would want Odor even with Albies out. Maybe a guy like Zach Watson or Kevin Smith. 

For me if he falls to the O's I'd claim him, but if he doesn't, he doesn't.   I would not trade for him.

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not me ….. I’d waiver claim him or otherwise pass

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

True, but we did just claim Voth and Vallimont.  The latter has had control issues but has looked much better over a few starts in the Orioles org.  Perhaps Elias sees something in Touki that he can tweak for improved results.

Just now, Hazmat said:

True, but we did just claim Voth and Vallimont.  The latter has had control issues but has looked much better over a few starts in the Orioles org.  Perhaps Elias sees something in Touki that he can tweak for improved results.

I guess we will see

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The Angels are here from the 7th through the 10th. I think once Nevin’s dad leaves town he too will be on his way, either back to Norfolk or on to greener pastures in another organization. 

Isn’t Phil Nevin suspended beginning on Monday?   Not sure he’s coming to Baltimore.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Isn’t Phil Nevin suspended beginning on Monday?   Not sure he’s coming to Baltimore.  

He can be in the clubhouse, and on the field in pre-game prep. He just cannot manage the team during the game in the dugout. Maybe he’ll put on a fake nose, glasses and a mustache like Bobby Valentine did.

8 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

It would be a cool story for Tyler to play for his dad. But as hot tempered as Phil is, I’m not sure Tyler will thrive in that scenario. Coaching his own son may not work for Phil, though I am sure he’d love he chance to do so. 

11 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Nunez was a pretty successful hitter at the ML level with impressive power unlike Nevin at this point. Also, without looking up fielding stats, Nevin a bit better defensively and can play more positions. Not sure how those two are related.

I know it’s cool to crap all over players when they are failing but not sure Nevin can’t still be a successful major league player in the right situation. 

Nunez and Nevin are both 3rd basemen, but like Nevin, Nunez had also played 1st base and some OF as well.

Orioles let go of Nunez after he had crushed 50 homers in 935 at-bats with the O's in his age 24-26 seasons, which included being second behind Mancini in 2019 and leading the team in 2020. Nevin is 25 and has not shown anything close to Nunez's bat--the comparison is even starker if you look at their minor league stats. Moreover, Nevin is by no means a defensive whiz--the O's have several players (Urias, Martin, Mateo et al that are more likely to pan out as utility players). Barring a post-ASB break-out, I don't see how the Orioles could feel warranted in seeing him in their long-term plans, especially with all the infield talent beginning to bubble up from the farm.