Calling out the pitchers

Going Underground

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t see Elias as calling these guys out, more issuing them a challenge.   In other words, he’s not doing it to blame them for some past performance, he’s saying they’ll have to do better to stay relevant.   And that’s pretty much the case.  

As to why they haven’t had more success to date, that’s complex and I’m sure there are things the front office and coaches could have done to help them more.  But at the end of the day, if they don’t perform well, they are going to lose opportunities.  Let’s see who steps up and who stagnates.   I didn’t see a ton of stepping up this spring, but those were microscopic sample sizes, so we’ll see.  

Why would you publicly issue them a challenge?

To me that's the same as calling them out.

He could have called each player into his office and had a short face to face chat with them.  Instead he chose to go public.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right.  I mean, what Moose said is correct but if you don’t believe in these guys, why are they even in the organization?  Why haven’t you traded them?  Or why aren’t they just in the pen?

At the end of the day, either Elias and his team are failing to develop these guys or they are failing at replacing them.

I don't know why they are farting around with extended ST rather than competing at a MiL level for some of these guys.

Innings and pitches still count regardless of where they throw them 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He could have called each player into his office and had a short face to face chat with them.  Instead he chose to go public.

Certainly turns up the heat on them a bit more to do it publicly.  Some may respond well to that, some may not.  End of the day I think it's much adieu about nothing, I would guess either the players involved don't even know it happened or they've forgotten it already.

The one guy that bothers me most is Akin, I've read rumblings that he showed up in not great shape again.  If that's the case you have to really question his desire to be a big league ballplayer, but let's see how he starts off.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Calling them out doesn’t do much good when they just don’t have the ability to be ML pitchers. He should’ve realized that long ago and made an effort to sign actual ML pitchers in free agency. 

He hasn't been interested in having actual ML pitchers up to this point.

The secret sauce analytics that Elias brought from the Astros for the pitchers seems to have gotten stuck in the bottle .

The Orioles traded for pitchers who improved based on analytics last year. Now they have to give them those tools again. – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-pitching-development-analytics-20190207-story.html

Nowhere was that more evident than in the Houston Astros system from which the Orioles plucked executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias, assistant general manager for analytics Sig Mejdal and minor league pitching coordinator Chris Holt. Elias said "there is a little bit of secret sauce behind that," that the pitchers who have been exposed to such methods before are looking forward to  another taste.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I see Grayson is not starting today for Norfolk.I guess they have him to pitch the fourth ,fifth game or maybe six man rotation? Maybe even comes in after the starter.We shall see.I know someone said that they would try to keep his innings down at the beginning. 

My Glass Half Full orange-tinfoil colored guess is his calendar is lined up to pitch on Mother's Day Sunday at Camden.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see Elias as calling these guys out, more issuing them a challenge.   In other words, he’s not doing it to blame them for some past performance, he’s saying they’ll have to do better to stay relevant.   And that’s pretty much the case.  

As to why they haven’t had more success to date, that’s complex and I’m sure there are things the front office and coaches could have done to help them more.  But at the end of the day, if they don’t perform well, they are going to lose opportunities.  Let’s see who steps up and who stagnates.   I didn’t see a ton of stepping up this spring, but those were microscopic sample sizes, so we’ll see.  

+1, he didn't blame anybody, just stated the facts and signaled how he's going to pivot should the current level of performance continue. Now, if the O's press were to ask who is to blame and what's going to change, I would be curious to hear his answer.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If these guys are butthurt about being called out in public, I wonder how they feel about giving up 450 foot bombs repeatedly.  

7 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Why do they have to pitch him 4th or 5th? Sorry, I missed the reasoning for that.

I hope people realize that the order at the beginning of the season for minor leaguer starting pitchers isn't based on prospect rankings, but on readiness to pitch.  For whatever reason, Norfolk decided that Friday night would be best for Grayson.  Sorry that they didn't phone that reason in to us (I would actually be as interested in knowing as anyone else here), but I doubt it was an arbitrary decision.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thank you. This was the lightest "call out" I've ever heard. Zimmermann was quoted as fully agreeing. I think guys embrace this kind of talk. The Orioles are giving them opportunity. They are slightly older guys and your development staff can only do so much. You can tell Kremer why it's bad to throw his cutter a million times in a row, but you can't make him not do it. These guys have an insane amount of information and technology and data at their disposal and good coaches to explain it to them. All of that is newly provided by Elias and his team. It's up to the players now. These aren't 22 yr olds. They've made the big leagues, it's about results now.