Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

The O's pitching is going to be terrible this year.  I can't believe the PR hit is worth the very minimal benefit at best the O's will receive from him.  Also, he will probably be suspended as soon as he signs.  He should be heading to jail, not to Florida to get ready for a baseball season.

God dammit.

And, for the record, I couldn't care less about the opioid stuff.  I will say this about that:  it helps to stop looking at pro athletes to set good examples.  A lot of them are uneducated scumbags.  For every Brooks Robinson you get there are dozens of guys on the opposite end of the spectrum.   

I saw that Johnny Cueto got picked up the White Sox on a minor league deal the other day, we could have done that.  He's a better pitcher.  And while I don't care about the baggage, I recognize that others do and Cueto doesn't have any.

That's the thing that bugs me the most here.  If you want to get a ML retread pitcher on a minor league deal, fine.  But there were better options out there from a variety of angles.

• Upvote 4

I'm generally inclined to give smarter people than me, and by that I mean Elias, not random internet fan posters 🙂 the benefit of the doubt, but tis move I don't get.  There have to be other fringy free agent pitchers that don't have his baggage.  Wonder if they checked with guys like Mancini and Means to get a sense of the locker room to see how the players feel about bringing him back. 

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I'm generally inclined to give smarter people than me, and by that I mean Elias, not random internet fan posters 🙂 the benefit of the doubt, but tis move I don't get.  There have to be other fringy free agent pitchers that don't have his baggage.  Wonder if they checked with guys like Mancini and Means to get a sense of the locker room to see how the players feel about bringing him back. 

Just because he went to Harvard doesn't make him smart.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just because he went to Harvard doesn't make him smart.

It makes him a good student.

Its kind of like, just because you are a doctor, doesn't mean you know more than a nurse does.  It just means you did well in school.

BTW, I don't think Elias is dumb by any means but I do find it funny how people consistently give the benefit of the doubt to FO executives in sports yet when they are out of the game, people cant wait to say, see there is a reason you aren't in the game anymore.