Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

No he just has to complete whatever arbitrary number of starts that Elias has already decided on. 

Same with Bradish. The performance doesn’t make a difference. 

I assume the arbitrary number of starts is equal to or greater than the number of starts that will give the O's an extra year of control.

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I assume the arbitrary number of starts is equal to or greater than the number of starts that will give the O's an extra year of control.

Nah, they keep them a bit longer than that for the optics. 

Bradish first up then Grayson.   

I really have no problem with these guys getting a handful of starts down in Norfolk to start the season.  Especially Grayson, who has never pitched in Triple A.  If they continue to dominate I do not expect them to stay down in the minors much past May. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I have seen Max Scherzer early on comps.  Now Scherzer hit a whole new level in Washington.  

I'd be happy if Grayson is as good as Scherzer pre-Nationals. If he approaches anything like Scherzer with the Nats, it's going to be nuts. You're talking Palmer and Mussina like perhaps even a smidge better. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Can we just stop arguing about this over and over and over?   Can’t we just have a night where we enjoy a great start by our top pitching prospect?   

Frankly, I’m thrilled.  My one worry about Rodriguez was that he’d have trouble adjusting to the major league ball.   It’s been a problem for several other prospects, like Bradish when he first moved up.  Clearly, Rodriguez is not having that problem.  I’m really happy about that.   I’m not sure exactly when he will get the call, but it won’t be long if this keeps up.   

I agree with this.  While you could make the argument his AAA stint is unnecessary, almost every single pitching prospect in the Elias era has struggled with the jump from AA to AAA.  I'm happy that he is off to a good start and don't feel the need to use it as justification to bash the FO (which has a lot of justifiable criticisms coming their way).

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Will Grayson get called up by June if he keeps pitching like this? If he isn't getting challenged by the hitters in AAA then he needs to be on the Orioles.

There are two more minor league dates this month, but I still feel like the Friday start in Norfolk Game4 might have been to line him up to pitch every 5th day, including two Camden Yards homegames during the long homestand when opponents are random Central clubs, and the Sunday game is Mother's Day.

Next week is home against Durham on a Wednesday, is my guess.

He needs to get back to games but I also have a small hope the Decision Science of Marketing says these years have been so bad, part of the flush is concentrating the Grayson and Adley unveils that same big Mother's Day homestand.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What major league pitcher is comparable to the stuff that Gray Rod has?

First two names that come to mind for me:  Clemens and Mussina.  Obviously, those are unfair comparisons for anyone with no ML experience and I'm not expecting those types of careers (though that would be awesome).  But Grayson's size, FB, control, and multiple plus pitches rhymes with what Clemens/Mussina came in with as well.  Grayson also seems to have that chip on his shoulder to improve/be the best like those guys (all professional players have that to some degree, but some seem to have "it" to another level).  Grayson's MiLB numbers compare favorably to both (K/BB, WHIP).  Both of those had lower ERA and gave up less HR (no idea about park factors).   (DL Hall is more along the Scherzer lines to me with his live arm but lesser control coming into the league.)

Both of them had 40-50ish IP less in the MiLB than Grayson as well...  He's ready.