Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, Stowers could also be expendable.

Seriously? I understand we've got a logjam in the outfield, and I assume that will be resolved by putting some of the extra bodies on the trade block. But would Stowers bring back more than Santander, Mullins, or even Mancini? As for Mayo, I'd rather wait a bit to offer him up unless there's a feeling that he's not likely to be an impact bat, and his current trade value is as high as it ever will be. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Seriously? I understand we've got a logjam in the outfield, and I assume that will be resolved by putting some of the extra bodies on the trade block. But would Stowers bring back more than Santander, Mullins, or even Mancini? As for Mayo, I'd rather wait a bit to offer him up unless there's a feeling that he's not likely to be an impact bat, and his current trade value is as high as it ever will be. 

Well these things aren’t really comparable.

First of all, yes I think Mullins gets more and should be the guy they trade but I don’t think they will.

Stowers is a guy that can perhaps be the first or second piece of a package to acquire a starter.  He would be going to a team looking for young, cheap pieces. 

Santander perhaps gets you a guy like Snell but overall, his value will likely be in bringing back a piece of 2 for the long term, not an asset to go get for now and the upcoming seasons.

In other words, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish in the trade and what team(s) you are trying to trade with.  If we are trying to get Montas, Stowers is who Oak would want.  If we are trying to get Snell, Santander is probably the guy they want.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Stowers' value is in his controllability.  He is cheap and under control for 6 more years, and probably could put up, at least, a .700-.750 OPS in an every day role somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Stowers' value is in his controllability.  He is cheap and under control for 6 more years, and probably could put up, at least, a .700-.750 OPS in an every day role somewhere. 

I don’t think you can ever presume that, until it happens.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Depends on which definition you use but I don't think the most prevalent connotation I've encountered is appropriate.

Okay. They get paid to make calculated estimations how minor leaguers will perform at the ML level before they get there.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think you can ever presume that, until it happens.  

I'm not sure I am presuming as much as projecting/estimating Stowers value based on what I think he is capable of, given his AAA numbers and advanced states.  I think he has a lot of value because he is young, controllable, and likely can hold his own in the big leagues.

10 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Any chance he will be off the IL for this weekends series v. Richmond?  Was hoping to see both him & Cowser play while driving through RVA.  

The Os aren’t exactly transparent about this stuff, but if this was really a back spasm issue, you’d hope he’d be ready after the break.

And I can’t wait. I think there’s a decent chance he’ll rake in the 2nd half and end up a top 100 prospect this year. 

• Upvote 1

Has got to be more than back spasms. For a 20 year old to be out this long for that would be astounding.  I beat up my body with high school and college sports and never had any sort of back issue until I hit my 40s. Now of course, approaching 50, it hurts to get out of bed half the time. 

I fear something else worse is going on here we’re not being told about.