Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

I will not lie, as good as I can appreciate some of the Elias' developmental changes that are seeing results, I have very limited faith in their training staff to keep their players healthy. I get it, injuries happen, but it's almost a shock if a player in the Orioles system does not spend some time of the IL this year. 

2. Rodriguez
6. Mayo
7. Stowers
8. Kjerstad
9. Prieto
11. Norby
12. Vavra
13. Baumler
15. Denoyer
16. Rhodes
17. Tavera
18. Rom

Have all missed varying time this season, and these are just the ones in the Top-20 prospects. 

When you add in very lengthy rehab times with this current staff, these players are missing valuable development time.

Even if you prescribe to theory that all teams have these kinds of injuries, at the very least you can say the Orioles are not any better despite their reluctance to push pitch or innings limits.

• Like 1

This is just my opinion because the team is obviously very secretive about just about everything, but to me I think the Orioles value time spent in their complex, teaching the things they want to teach, as much as they do real game time activity.  Or at the very least, more so than past regimes.

I really think in the past, a lot of these "injuries" would have been played through.  But the Orioles would just as soon have the player at their facility, so if a guy has any sort of issue they bring them back to Sarasota to continue development there.

Again no evidence of that, just me reading into things.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

This is just my opinion because the team is obviously very secretive about just about everything, but to me I think the Orioles value time spent in their complex, teaching the things they want to teach, as much as they do real game time activity.  Or at the very least, more so than past regimes.

I really think in the past, a lot of these "injuries" would have been played through.  But the Orioles would just as soon have the player at their facility, so if a guy has any sort of issue they bring them back to Sarasota to continue development there.

Again no evidence of that, just me reading into things.

I think that's a pretty good assessment. I know they use the "Developmental list" to try and reinvent players. Not saying they are doing that with Mayo, but the back spasms could have been an opportunity to give him some weeks of work in their camp. 

We'll see how all of this works out. Rutshcman is a the first offensive prospect "developed" by them that is having success at the major league level and he was kind of a no brainer.

Henderson, Stowers, and Westburg, Cowser and Mayo looks very promising, but until they have success at the major league level we don't know how successful their development process is overall.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I will not lie, as good as I can appreciate some of the Elias' developmental changes that are seeing results, I have very limited faith in their training staff to keep their players healthy. I get it, injuries happen, but it's almost a shock if a player in the Orioles system does not spend some time of the IL this year. 

2. Rodriguez
6. Mayo
7. Stowers
8. Kjerstad
9. Prieto
11. Norby
12. Vavra
13. Baumler
15. Denoyer
16. Rhodes
17. Tavera
18. Rom

Have all missed varying time this season, and these are just the ones in the Top-20 prospects. 

When you add in very lengthy rehab times with this current staff, these players are missing valuable development time.

Even if you prescribe to theory that all teams have these kinds of injuries, at the very least you can say the Orioles are not any better despite their reluctance to push pitch or innings limits.

Looking at current top 10 non-O's prospects:

Riley Greene out 4/4 - 5/30

Francisco Alvarez - no injuries

Corbin Carroll  out 4/8 - 7/7

Gabriel Moreno - no injuries

Jordan Walker - healthy this year, out 5/28-6/12 last year

Volpe - healthy

Marcelo Meyer - out 5/20 to 5/30

Daniel Espino - Injured since 5/3

Jordan Lawler - surgery after two games in '21

I don't see the O's track record as unusual. Looks like the majority of players spend at least some time out with an injury. Overall the fact the majority of our top guys (Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, and especially Hall) have been healthy tracks about right with the league. Obviously, Grayson is a major bummer and we all remember Bundy. 

• Upvote 2

Recently I noticed a WIN Reality commercial on MLB Network for the first time.    They have CC Sabathia and his kid, and dad is on the couch talking like I'm glad I'm retired, and the next hotshot is training against "infinite live pitches" in his goggles.     That's just what's on TV for anybody to see.

MLB cutting the Minors from 180 teams to 120 teams was I think just a bargaining outcome.    What does Jackson Holliday really need to get ready for Alek Manoah?

My guess is state of the art pitching machines are hidden in complexes, and to the extent anyone has a better mousetrap, nobody is saying a peep about it.    Mayo might have taken 10 at-bats against the pitches Nestor Cortes threw yesterday afternoon last night.    And 10 more against age 31.9 Gerrit Cole wilting on a hot July night in the 7th inning.

It sucks as a baseball fan more is happening out of view...ZiPS, PECOTA and many of us would like to know this stuff.   I hope he'll be back for fireworks nights this weekend....got some elementary aged kids who might enjoy it.    

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

2. Rodriguez
6. Mayo
7. Stowers
8. Kjerstad
9. Prieto
11. Norby
12. Vavra
13. Baumler
15. Denoyer
16. Rhodes
17. Tavera
18. Rom

I don’t follow other teams closely enough to know if we are better or worse than others.  In a few of the cases above, I don’t really know why the player was on the IL.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t follow other teams closely enough to know if we are better or worse than others.  In a few of the cases above, I don’t really know why the player was on the IL.

I believe it's been shown that pushing pitchers to always maximize velocity, spin rates and movement of pitches leads to more injuries, especially vs. a pitcher in the 80's who's throwing the same fastball and slider he's thrown for 15 years.  I wonder if the same is true for hitters who are always aiming for maximum exit velocity and violent uppercut swings.  Just a wild guess that it could lead to more injuries.

Funny thing about Mayo having back issues is:

When I saw him at Delmarva on video last year I remarked about the great hip rotation on his swing.   It was impressive but I wondered if all of that movement might lead to issues down the road.   When I saw video of him at Aberdeen this season it looked to me like that had changed his swing to eliminate much of that hip rotation.   Could be the different angles I was looking at from one year to the next but that thought stuck in my mind.    So, kind of ironic that he has some back issues when it seems to be (just guessing) that they may have toned down the hip rotation in order to avoid things like this.

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

So many tremendous stories in prospect land and Mayo is not part of it .......  yet.

Context is key.  In the shadows of Adley and the wake of the SS Gunnar is a tough place to be.  Even Grayson greatness early is somewhat obscured this season by his injury and those two freaks.  

Mayo's story isn't bad.  He's still a young man with big expectations and some growth needs.  Maybe he's not headlining a futures game, but he was promoted to AA at the age of 20.  Not too shabby...  Let him get healthy and some AA ABs to finish out the season to adjust.  I doubt he'll post a .800+ OPS from here on out in AA like he did in A+.  But he's over 4 years younger than the league average.  Next year will be good to see the stats/adjustments he's made show (hopefully offensively and defensively).