Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

On 6/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I can't speak for everyone, but for me I try to be consistent and admit when I am wrong. I would have taken Lacy (who I wanted) OR Martin over Kerjstad. Regardless how that turns out, I think that was the best move BUT HUGE difference between that draft and the Lawlar vs CC conversation. Kerjstad got us Baumer. What did CC get us again? Lawlar >>>>>Martin or Lacy more than likely. That's the one single decision (CC over Lawlar) that got me questioning Elias' judgement. 

I don't know this for sure, but I'm fairly certain Elias lost some key guys he wanted to spend that money on when teams took those overslot guys. I think he got beat a bit in hos own game and ended up knowing he need to spend some money, and dumped it on a high EV guy like Willems. The book is not written on Willems but he's off to a pretty bad start.

I think that's the risk you take when you do this. Now, saying this, Cowser is now hitting pretty well in AA including showing some power so that book is not written yet either.

I don't do a lot of predraft analysis of picks so I can't say definitively whether I would have taken Lawler over Cowser, but it's hard not to like where Cowser is trending now that he's been able to go back to his hitting style.

• Upvote 2

On 7/13/2022 at 3:08 PM, justD said:

Adam Pohl is really fun to listen to as far as his turn of phrase and extensive background knowledge.  Came up “thru the system” formerly with Frederick.  He also does calls for Mt Saint Mary’s sports.

He got his signature sports drawl from trying to imitate John Miller, and yes, it’s over the top.  Get past that and you’ve got a really skilled broadcaster who takes the young guys under his wing and passes on whatever he can.  

If you can celebrate along with the excitement in every call, honestly you really may come to enjoy them as much as I do. 

Plus, Adam is a really good dude. He's a unique fun listen.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, MurphDogg said:

1.363 OPS at Bowie.

On 7/13/2022 at 1:35 PM, MurphDogg said:

Cowser with his third home run in 12 games with Bowie. 1.132 OPS.

Starting to suspect that he may find his way back on the top 100 prospects lists soon.

14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

2 more home runs for Cowser tonight and he robbed a home run in center field as well.

All I can say is that he's playing like the guy the Orioles hoped he would be when they drafted him. Really would like to know why hitting Aberdeen was so hard. Is it the lights in the league? 

I know he was taking too many pitches early on, but he also was swinging through a lot of hittable pitches. Doesn't seem like he's doing too much of that now.

Quite the amazing turn around and why you can't bury talent too far down when it struggles for a bit.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

All I can say is that he's playing like the guy the Orioles hoped he would be when they drafted him. Really would like to know why hitting Aberdeen was so hard. Is it the lights in the league? 

I know he was taking too many pitches early on, but he also was swinging through a lot of hittable pitches. Doesn't seem like he's doing too much of that now.

Quite the amazing turn around and why you can't bury talent too far down when it struggles for a bit.

As you’ve always said, development is a journey.  You never know exactly how and when a guy will progress.    Cowser did put up a 1.010 OPS his last 14 games at Aberdeen, so he was coming on, and it’s great to see that continuing at Bowie.  

21 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Connor Norby is having a similar resurgence in Bowie.  He was really struggling in Aberdeen.  I don't think it's a coincidence.  

Aberdeen is where bats go to die. Although, don't tell Darrell Hernaiz that. 

Not his thread, but what Hernaiz is doing there is impressive.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I can't speak for everyone, but for me I try to be consistent and admit when I am wrong. I would have taken Lacy (who I wanted) OR Martin over Kerjstad. Regardless how that turns out, I think that was the best move BUT HUGE difference between that draft and the Lawlar vs CC conversation. Kerjstad got us Baumer. What did CC get us again? Lawlar >>>>>Martin or Lacy more than likely. That's the one single decision (CC over Lawlar) that got me questioning Elias' judgement. 

One choice getting you questioning seems a bit extreme. 4 other teams also passed on Lawlar. It might turn out that he was underrated. Sometimes in drafts you are wrong. There is risk to the underslot strategy though, two years ago, some guys fell and it worked out (plus Adams was overrated), last year it didn’t in terms of guys falling. But no GM is ever always going to be right.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, seak05 said:

One choice getting you questioning seems a bit extreme. 4 other teams also passed on Lawlar. It might turn out that he was underrated. Sometimes in drafts you are wrong. There is risk to the underslot strategy though, two years ago, some guys fell and it worked out (plus Adams was overrated), last year it didn’t in terms of guys falling. But no GM is ever always going to be right.

Exactly.

I am disappointed that we only ended up with Rhodes and Willems as our overslots, but the alternative could have just have easily been taking Jud Fabian and giving him $3M instead of Connor Norby at 41 if the Red Sox hadn't taken (and not signed) Fabian with the #40 pick. I would have been happy about that at the time.

But at this point, having seen what Fabian did at Florida this year and what Norby is doing at AA now, I am glad we have Norby over Fabian and anything we get out of Rhodes or Willems is a bonus.

Of course Fabian could still be a late bloomer and ultimately have more value than Norby. You just never know.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know this for sure, but I'm fairly certain Elias lost some key guys he wanted to spend that money on when teams took those overslot guys. I think he got beat a bit in hos own game and ended up knowing he need to spend some money, and dumped it on a high EV guy like Willems. The book is not written on Willems but he's off to a pretty bad start.

I think that's the risk you take when you do this. Now, saying this, Cowser is now hitting pretty well in AA including showing some power so that book is not written yet either.

I don't do a lot of predraft analysis of picks so I can't say definitively whether I would have taken Lawler over Cowser, but it's hard not to like where Cowser is trending now that he's been able to go back to his hitting style.

Great post. Thanks. Who do you like this draft Sir?

34 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Great post. Thanks. Who do you like this draft Sir?

I'll be honest, I can't get too upset no matter who they take since they have more info than me, but Termarr Johnson has the best stick and statcast numbers and actually has a better arm than Holliday who has stagnated over his last few years. 

Drew Jones will be hard to pass up since he has better speed and may get a look in the infield as a pro, but if Johnson saves you some $$$, I think he's a great choice. Plus he's a better fit for Camden Yards.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I can't get too upset no matter who they take since they have more info than me, but Termarr Johnson has the best stick and statcast numbers and actually has a better arm than Holliday who has stagnated over his last few years. 

Drew Jones will be hard to pass up since he has better speed and may get a look in the infield as a pro, but if Johnson saves you some $$$, I think he's a great choice. Plus he's a better fit for Camden Yards.

Is it not unsual that such a highly rated prospect with what sounds like a decent arm, was playing 2B on a high school team rather than SS?  Seems limiting. Is there a chance he can move over to SS?

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Is it not unsual that such a highly rated prospect with what sounds like a decent arm, was playing 2B on a high school team rather than SS?  Seems limiting. Is there a chance he can move over to SS?

It might be unusual if he was playing 2B on his HS team.   That's not the case.  He played SS on his HS team.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

It might be unusual if he was playing 2B on his HS team.   That's not the case.  He played SS on his HS team.

Got it.  So seems it's already been decided he's not a major league shortstop.  I'm guessing the arm is in question. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Got it.  So seems it's already been decided he's not a major league shortstop.  I'm guessing the arm is in question. 

The arm and range at SS are considered below average but most feel he will be average at 2B.  Some think better than average.   I have not seen one writeup that thinks he won't stick at 2B or will be below average there.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Interesting. I have been super negstive on Johnson but trust your judgement. Anyone but Berry then!:)