Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

Just now, RZNJ said:

He's striking out about 25% rate.  He's certainly being challenged a little bit.

Ehh, who cares.  I’m not concerned about Ks and if he’s being challenged or not when his BA and OBp are what they are.

Guys are conditioned that striking out is ok.  He’s also a guy who has a great eye at the plate and I would bet sees a lot of pitches per at bat.  Ks are going to happen in those instances.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ehh, who cares.  I’m not concerned about Ks and if he’s being challenged or not when his BA and OBp are what they are.

Guys are conditioned that striking out is ok.  He’s also a guy who has a great eye at the plate and I would bet sees a lot of pitches per at bat.  Ks are going to happen in those instances.

Someone just pointed out that his BA and OBP are fueled by an insanely high BABIP.  Of course, you don't care about that either.   You've made up your mind and you just don't care about anything that suggests he's just fine where he is.   

29 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Markakis hit .339 /.420 /.573 in 33 games at AA, striking out about 20% of the time, and went right to the majors from there. Would it be the worst thing in the world if Cowser started 2023 in our outfield? 

June 2nd 2023. That’s likely the earliest date. I do think Cowser can be on the Stowers timeline. I don’t know what our offseason will look like, but Cowser might be exactly on the Stowers timeline, meaning he comes up after we trade someone at the deadline next year. 

I don't think its out of the norm to have elite prospects put up insane BABIPs in the minors - plus once the big boy strength comes some of those loud doubles that fuel the BABIP become homers in the majors - hopefully!

a .462 BABIP is insane, but carrying a BABIP around .380 wouldn't concern me too much - especially since he has a 36% line drive rate and an elite eye!

Some similar profile lefties with recent BABIPs that I found:

Riley Green 2021: .392

Corbin Carroll 2022 AA: .379 (.352 in AAA)

heck not a similar profile, but even Jordan Lawler has a .412 BABIP this year!

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Someone just pointed out that his BA and OBP are fueled by an insanely high BABIP.  Of course, you don't care about that either.   You've made up your mind and you just don't care about anything that suggests he's just fine where he is.   

I acknowledged it and said it’s not sustainable. 

Are you saying he shouldn’t go to AAA?  That he should keep overmatching AA?  Are you saying that a guy who was touted as a very advanced hitter and is “of age”, wouldn’t be able to hit in AAA?  

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

June 2nd 2023. That’s likely the earliest date. I do think Cowser can be on the Stowers timeline. I don’t know what our offseason will look like, but Cowser might be exactly on the Stowers timeline, meaning he comes up after we trade someone at the deadline next year. 

Cowser is a superior hitter to Stowers.  Can’t compare the 2.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I acknowledged it and said it’s not sustainable. 

Are you saying he shouldn’t go to AAA?  That he should keep overmatching AA?  Are you saying that a guy who was touted as a very advanced hitter and is “of age”, wouldn’t be able to hit in AAA?  

No. I'm saying a guy with a 25% strikeout rate, a .823 road OPS, and a .500 BABIP isn't dominating as much as you think and can still gain something from continuing to play at the AA level.

Doesn't matter to me if he's at AA or AAA right now.  The notion that AA is just too easy for him and it's a waste of time to keep him there is just plain wrong.  If that were the case, he'd be in AAA.  No doubt.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No. I'm saying a guy with a 25% strikeout rate, a .823 road OPS, and a .500 BABIP isn't dominating as much as you think and can still gain something from continuing to play at the AA level.

Doesn't matter to me if he's at AA or AAA right now.  The notion that AA is just too easy for him and it's a waste of time to keep him there is just plain wrong.  If that were the case, he'd be in AAA.  No doubt.

Well, he has gotten around that 200 at bat area now.

What is the team supposed to do?  Keep him in AA just because of an insanely high BABiP?  Is he hitting a bunch of softly hit balls that are just finding holes?  Are his hits weak?  Is his EV poor?  Is he just swinging at everything? 

BtW, MiLB.com has his BABiP at 462.  Still not sustainable of course.