Impressions from Opening Day

Frobby

I really liked the pitching.

You have to love Baker and Perez. Palmer talked about when Perez strikes guys out it's always the high heater, and that's exactly what he did. Great mount presence too, which I always love in a pitcher.

Thought Lopez pitched pretty well. The walk was unfortunate, but I give the credit to Choi with a ridiculously good AB. Swinging bunt single, etc. But hitting 99 and I think he'll be fine.

Losing 2-1 against Tampa in the Trop isn't really anything to be all that disappointed in. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Thought Lopez pitched pretty well. The walk was unfortunate, but I give the credit to Choi with a ridiculously good AB. Swinging bunt single, etc. But hitting 99 and I think he'll be fine.

I did not watch but according to the box score Lopez had two walks. Does look like he got squeezed on ball three of the second one. 99 is exciting though. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I liked Chirinos back there. Made a really nice block.

Also cool to see the review get announced in stadium and reversed in our favor. 

I was watching in a bar with no sound on the TV.  Sure seemed to me like the replay umps gave us a gift on that one.

52 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Tate was also really good in his one inning. Just gave up a single to Franco on a nice bit of hitting. 

If you’re gonna give a guy a second inning, don’t just pull him after a lead off single. 

Forgot about Tate. He looked really poised and the stuff was great.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just saw this and since it is kinda on topic and this thread is getting traffic.

Rays declared the game a sell out.

FP2CayLWYAcC7Sc?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah I saw Roch call it a sellout in his morning blog  yesterday and then I watched it on TV and thought he must have been wrong.  But he was probably just going by the "information" the Rays gave him.

I get you can block off sections and not sell them and still call it a sellout.  But to me the most basic definition of a sellout is that if someone walks up 15 minutes before the game and tries to get a ticket to get in and they cannot (not counting the secondary market).  Was that REALLY the case yesterday?  I find that hard to believe.

Chirinos looks like a great defender, but an easy out at the plate. I'd still take him over Severino though.

Gutierrez's defense is still strong, even if he can't hit either. If we're going to be bad, let's at least get the games over fast.

Lopez didn't look bad, the Rays just put together some great at bats and hustled. Gotta tip your cap.

Urias and Mateo are interesting. It will be fun to see what they do with everyday ABs.

Mike's ability to identify interesting arms on the waiver wire is encouraging.