Hudson Haskin 2022

ChuckS

Just now, glenn__davis said:

I love Haskin...but I'm thinking it's likely he's the 3rd piece of a trade this offseason.

Sure, with 3 outfielders currently and Stowers and Cowser looking good and with Kjerstad getting back up to speed, Haskin would seem like a likely trade candidate at some point, UNLESS he takes another step up.    I think Haskins needs a bump in the plate discipline numbers and a little more power to get into the future starting Oriole OF conversation.

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would say he doesn't get much love on the board, although to be fair, he hadn't done much since the beginning of the season until recently.   I believe our friend SportsGuy has pretty much written him off and Tony wasn't very high on him either but maybe those opinions have changed.

He's only got a season or so's worth of AB's.... largely because of COVID and a broken thumb.

I don't get the impression that anyone's really soured on him... just in "jury's still out on this guy" mode.

30 minutes ago, owknows said:

He's only got a season or so's worth of AB's.... largely because of COVID and a broken thumb.

I don't get the impression that anyone's really soured on him... just in "jury's still out on this guy" mode.

Yea I think soured is the wrong word.  That said, he didn’t look like anything special in 2021 and he came here as a guy that had a lot of offensive question marks.  

I don’t think people doubted his potential and talent but more of a, is this really a guy to take and do we really expect much out of him?  Right now, despite what he is doing this year, I don’t consider him as a guy who will be part of our future.  Definitely would like to see him as part of a trade for a player we need at the ML level.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I think soured is the wrong word.  That said, he didn’t look like anything special in 2021 and he came here as a guy that had a lot of offensive question marks.  

I don’t think people doubted his potential and talent but more of a, is this really a guy to take and do we really expect much out of him?  Right now, despite what he is doing this year, I don’t consider him as a guy who will be part of our future.  Definitely would like to see him as part of a trade for a player we need at the ML level.

Somewhere in the back of my mind... I have a very non-traditional view of Elias, and what he's trying to do.

I feel like he really is trying to set up a conveyor belt of players where at any given time, there's an entire team's worth of players in the organization at any given level, plus or minus a year.

And that his aim is strategic replacement (trades to refill the front of the conveyor) rather than signing multi-year contract players during ARB

And if that's the case... the "entirely full outfield" of today... becomes space for Stowers... Then Cowser... Then Kjerstad.... Haskins... etc...

And as Mullins and Hays and Santander approach the time where they become big money FA's...

They'll be replaced in a staggered fashion.. making room for each new face as they graduate.

This strategy was made a little more difficult by Minor League Contraction...  But multiple tanking years built a significant talent pool to get it started.

Now it's up to the GM's talent evaluation skill, and trade prowess.

I think their goal is to build a perpetual low payroll contender.

I guess time will tell if I'm right.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Somewhere in the back of my mind... I have a very non-traditional view of Elias, and what he's trying to do.

I feel like he really is trying to set up a conveyor belt of players where at any given time, there's an entire team's worth of players in the organization at any given level, plus or minus a year.

And that his aim is strategic replacement (trades to refill the front of the conveyor) rather than signing multi-year contract players during ARB

And if that's the case... the "entirely full outfield" of today... becomes space for Stowers... Then Cowser... Then Kjerstad.... Haskins... etc...

And as Mullins and Hays and Santander approach the time where they become big money FA's...

They'll be replaced in a staggered fashion.. making room for each new face as they graduate.

This strategy was made a little more difficult by Minor League Contraction...  But multiple tanking years built a significant talent pool to get it started.

Well, I don’t know how low they want the payroll to be but I do believe they want to set something up where they don’t feel the need to pay guys outside of their primes…which is what you should be doing.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I don’t know how low they want the payroll to be but I do believe they want to set something up where they don’t feel the need to pay guys outside of their primes…which is what you should be doing.

Yeah.. we certainly agree here.  I guess we largely differ in matters of degree.

The Orioles gave him $1.9 Million (Pick 39) in 2020 for a reason.  The year before Elias the Orioles gave Cadyn Grenier $1.8 Million (Pick 37) in 2018 and somehow he is still around (only batting .224 AVG career and OPS of .681 which are both within 5% of his yearly averages).  AND...  they are playing Harris in AAA after a very brief 20 games hitting .315 in AA and now .115 in AAA in 50% more ABs. 

IF anyone can actually provide a template for what Elias and Blood are doing... I would love to see it.

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Yeah, I think this is the org build strategy too.  Keep stacking talent and trade talent as they gain market value (i.e. in the MLB).  No other way for small/mid-market teams to consistently compete with higher payrolls.

I'm not sure what I think of Haskins either.  Maybe I've soured.  But wasn't really on the bandwagon either.  Glad to see the OPS, but also not sure about that OPS either.

I haven't really watched him much/any other than a few highlights here/there.  Stats-wise, nice uptick in power.  Surprising a bit, but he also left Aberdeen for Bowie.  Maintained 2B rate, so the power may have been there just hidden a little at Aberdeen?  His stats mirror what he did in Delmarva more than Aberdeen (including K%, BB%, and batted ball profits).  Which is good considering he's facing better competition.  SB/CS ratio is concerning (3/3 in AA) but management will adjust to his skill set.  .325 babip isn't outlandish.  Big ISO jump (.213 vs. .138/.110 last year).  

His opening day 3 2B day he hit one against a 28 y/o guy, a 27 y/o, and a 24 y/o.

His 3 HR game two days later he hit a HR against a 30 y/o guy, a 27 y/o, and a 24 y/o.

His recent two triple game were off a 26 and 28 y/o.  And yesterday's triple was off a 27 y/o.  

My point is he could be feasting off guys who will washout sooner rather than later.  Nice to see, but a cautionary tale.

Starting his stats after those games, he's posting a .259/.354/.435 slash line.  Solid but the .850 OPS looks much better.

7 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

The thing about Haskin is that he projects as a good defensive CF, from what I've read (is this still true, those that watch him and know more?). So the .850 OPS looks more promising in that light. 

I only know that Tony didn't have great things to say about his tools and questioned (I think) his ability in CF.   Haskin is supposed to have at least plus speed and a good arm.   I don't think Tony felt his tools were anything special in the OF.

Haskin by month:

April 1.182

May .663

June .732

July .791

Three days into August he’s at 2.445.   

He’s a bit inconsistent so I tend to view him as a second-tier guy.  And I hate to admit this, but I often confuse him with Zack Watson, our 2019 3rd rounder who is kind of floundering.   Both toolsy CFs who we drafted pretty high in back to back years.   But it’s not really fair at all to mention them in the same breath.  Haskin’s been far better.  

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I would say he doesn't get much love on the board, although to be fair, he hadn't done much since the beginning of the season until recently.   I believe our friend SportsGuy has pretty much written him off and Tony wasn't very high on him either but maybe those opinions have changed.

Well I have him still on the power rankings at #21 so it's like I don't think he's not a prospect. I'm still not convinced he's more than a 4th outfielder although he could end up a lower division starter. His main on base skill is his ability to get hit by pitches since he doesn't draw a lot of walks and although he's on a heater again, he doesn't get to his power enough for me from the right-handed side.

Sorry, hitting 11 home runs in homer happy PG County stadium over 317 AA PAs is not going to get me too excited.

He has cleaned up his stance a bit getting away from that ridiculous butt out unbalanced set up and that's helped him a bit. 

He's on a bit of a heater again slashing .360/.515/.760/1.275 over his last 7 games over 33 PAs. Prior to that he had slashed .230/.319/.378/.697 over his previous 257 PAs since his last heater at the beginning of the year. 

He's got some tools to work from so hopefully he'll continue to improve, but I don't see what his role would be on the Orioles besides a replacement for McKenna so he could very well be packaged in a deal for pitching.

Defensively he doesn't have nearly the foot speed as McKenna and arm is ok, but nothing special. He can play CF like Joey Rickard could play there, but he's no Mullins.

• Upvote 1

Pitching for Harrisburg tonight was horrendous.  So it was hard to judge anything except our guys were very patient, waiting for something they could hit. Haskin walked twice. His one hit was a long drive down the right field line that scored Cowser.

In the 7th, he fouled a ball back into his body - I thought it went off his head but it might’ve been his shoulder or neck.  Anyway, it caromed off his body all the way the first.  He came back in the box to finish the AB but then popped out foul and was taken out of the game after that point.

Will be interested to find out if he just shakes this off.  I think they took him out just as a precaution.  I hope. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1