Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

3 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I disagree, we’ll kind of. Not that I don’t want this, but by looking at the lineups in Baltimore, and Hyde’s continued insistence on playing Odor, it would be silly to bring him up just to sit and play 1-2 games per week. 

Maybe Elias can pull a Billy Beane ala Moneyball and trade Odor to get the right guys in the lineup!

Plus, wouldn't we have to add him to the 40-man?  I'd rather him stay in Norfolk, play everyday for the last month and have a chance to make the team in spring training.  And I surmise Aguilar was signed to be a back-up 1B, which I'm not sure Westburg (or anyone else on the team right now) can play.

2 hours ago, Low Country Bird said:

Plus, wouldn't we have to add him to the 40-man?  I'd rather him stay in Norfolk, play everyday for the last month and have a chance to make the team in spring training.  And I surmise Aguilar was signed to be a back-up 1B, which I'm not sure Westburg (or anyone else on the team right now) can play.

Jesus Aquilar's defense at 1B versus a SS/2B with about 5 games to get acclimated to the position.   I'm calling it close with an edge to Westburg.

6 hours ago, Low Country Bird said:

Aguilar is DH tonight. I’m sure Westburg could handle that position. It’s ridiculous to think he still belongs in Norfolk. 

• 2 weeks later...

Westburg hit his 25th home run today, breaking a tie with Connor Norby for the organizational lead.   Of course, Norfolk will still have 9 games to play after Bowie’s regular season ends, so advantage Westburg.  

I don’t know what’s in the water in Norfolk this week.  12, 13 and 14 runs the last three days.  Of course, their opponent, Charlotte, has the worst pitching in the International League, allowing 6.24 runs/game with a 5.93 ERA.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Maybe our future LF and 1B if we trade Mountcastle or Hays? Big guy with power.

I think that would be a waste of Westburg’s abilities as an infielder.   If we don’t have an infield spot for him, we should trade him to someone who does.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that would be a waste of Westburg’s abilities as an infielder.   If we don’t have an infield spot for him, we should trade him to someone who does.  

I disagree.   Westburg is reportedly good at 3B, adequate at SS, and probably good at 2B.   Perhaps he could be a GG caliber 1B.   Is getting the optimal value out of him defensively.   Probably not.   Should we trade Joey Ortiz if he's going to play 2B, just because he has more value at SS?