Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

12 hours ago, deward said:

I would need to see a lot from Westburg defensively before I felt comfortable playing him in LF in new Camden 81 times a year. 

Agree with this. I think we need to stop with the random ‘IF can play LF’ talk now. Just too much ground to cover to throw someone out there who’s not a natural OF. 

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Agree with this. I think we need to stop with the random ‘IF can play LF’ talk now. Just too much ground to cover to throw someone out there who’s not a natural OF. 

Agreed.  But the team (Elias/managers/etc.) need to start that type of conversation and experience sooner rather than later though IF they see an OF (or 1B) need that Westburg (or anyone else that doesn't currently get reps the positions of need) could possibly fill.  Westburg is in AAA.  A last second tryout of Westburg in the OF or 1B (like they did to Gunnar at 2B) should not be part of any plan.  

The 7 P's apply when managing any type of project plan:  "Proper prior planning prevents pitifully poor performance."

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I disagree.   Westburg is reportedly good at 3B, adequate at SS, and probably good at 2B.   Perhaps he could be a GG caliber 1B.   Is getting the optimal value out of him defensively.   Probably not.   Should we trade Joey Ortiz if he's going to play 2B, just because he has more value at SS? 

Offense being equal, there’s a large difference between the value of a guy who plays 2B/3B/SS and a guy who plays 1B.   So if we can’t use him except as a 1B, I think we could get more value by trading him than by sticking him at 1B.

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Agreed.  But the team (Elias/managers/etc.) need to start that type of conversation and experience sooner rather than later though IF they see an OF (or 1B) need that Westburg (or anyone else that doesn't currently get reps the positions of need) could possibly fill.  Westburg is in AAA.  A last second tryout of Westburg in the OF or 1B (like they did to Gunnar at 2B) should not be part of any plan.  

The 7 P's apply when managing any type of project plan:  "Proper prior planning prevents pitifully poor performance."

The other reason to not do it is because there really isn’t an OF need. At least not so much that we should be moving people out there. Current OF needs improved but isn’t terrible. And then Cowser is knocking on the door, jury still out in Stowers, and maybe Fabian/Beavers behind them. 

long story short, I think it was Frobby who said trading is a better idea than moving around. I agree with that, whoever said it. Trade a guy for pitching upgrades instead of shoving them somewhere they’ve rarely played. 

(1B is a different story. That I can see being worthy of a try, particularly in Weatburg’s case)

Just now, Frobby said:

Offense being equal, there’s a large difference between the value of a guy who plays 2B/3B/SS and a guy who plays 1B.   So if we can’t use him except as a 1B, I think we could get more value by trading him than by sticking him at 1B.

I don’t think Westburg, as an unknown quantity, has as much value as what he MIGHT be at 1B.  Meaning, if the O’s really believe in his bat, I think he’s worth more playing a less valuable position on this team than what he would bring back in a trade.

I think Westburg should be a starting infielder on opening day next season, at either 2B or 3B.   Trade Mateo, don't resign Odor, and let Ortiz and Urias fight it out for the other starting spot and the utility spot.  If Ortiz is ready to start on opening day, then your infield is Gunnar at 3B, Ortiz at SS and Westburg at 2B.   Norby will push Ortiz and Westburg for playing time later next year.   

In the long run we may need to trade one of Westburg, Norby and Ortiz, but that's only in the happy scenario where all three of them are succeeding at the ML level.   I don't want to start trading upper level prospects before they've had a chance to show what they can do at the ML level.  Better to trade known quantities like Urias and Mateo for a fair return.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s hard for me to believe that Ramon Urias can be an asset defensively at third but Westburg can’t.

Is it really true that he couldn’t handle that side of the diamond?

I don’t watch minor league games, but I have seen several highlights of Westburg at 3B that have shown him making some very difficult plays.   That leads me to think he could handle it, though obviously judging off a few selected highlights is not a good way to evaluate a player.   I know Tony has reservations.  

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t watch minor league games, but I have seen several highlights of Westburg at 3B that have shown him making some very difficult plays.   That leads me to think he could handle it, though obviously judging off a few selected highlights is not a good way to evaluate a player.   I know Tony has reservations.  

The knocks on his defense are about his arm being a little short. Everything else is very good. The same was said about Urias’ arm, and that he was only a 2B. IDK. Gunnar clearly has the better arm of all three. Mateo is there too. I think Westburg’s arm would suffice at 3B and SS, but we’ll see. 

Edited by Jammer7

I think Tony questions him at SS.  Not sure he said anything about 3B.  Baseball America.

Ranked Baltimore Orioles #6 prospect in-season in 2022 
BA Grade: 55/High

Track Record: In signing Westburg for $2.37 million as the 30th overall pick in 2020, the Orioles bet he was going to continue the improvements from his strong summer in 2019 in Cape Cod League and the first few weeks of the shortened college season. He did just that at instructional league in 2020. He began his pro career at Low-A Delmarva before beginning a three-level ascent to Double-A Bowie.

Scouting Report: While climbing the minors, Westburg showed an aptitude to adjust and rise to the competition level each time. An above-average hitter who made consistent contact with good swing decisions, Westburg abandoned a toe-tap late in the season and moved to a leg lift that caused his hard-contact rate to spike down the stretch at Bowie. As he moves forward with that and doesn't give up his ability to drive the ball late in counts, Westburg could have 20-home run power, especially if he pulls the ball more often. His strikeout concerns have been quieted by a year where his strikeout rates fell as he climbed levels, and he chased fewer than 20% of the time. He's a plus runner with the instincts and athleticism to play shortstop in the big leagues and the arm for third base, making him an asset anywhere on the infield.

The Future: Westburg's quiet competitiveness and confidence fit in well on an ascendant Orioles farm, and he projects to be an everyday big leaguer whose versatility may make him worth more than that in the major leagues. He should finish off Double-A Bowie to begin 2022 but has a chance to push for the majors by the end of the summer.

Scouting Grades
Hit: 55. Power: 50. Speed: 60. Fielding: 55. Arm: 60.

MLB Pipeline

Defense isn’t Westburg’s calling card given his size and average speed, but he’s a reliable defender at short and athletic enough to move around if need be. His arm strength is plus; that and his power potential could forecast a move to third base somewhere down the line. Baltimore’s lack of high-level infield prospects made Westburg a candidate to move quickly and so far he’s lived up to that billing, reaching Double-A in 2021 and looking like a potential impact player at the big league level.

They have his arm at 55.  BA has it a 60.  Both grades are above average (50).

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2