Michael Baumann 2022

Just Regular

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He came in with runners on first and third with one out, and induced a double play that bailed out our starter, Chris Ellis.   But the next inning his command wasn’t good.   He walked one guy on four pitches, got behind on other hitters and allowed two hits including a screaming double in the gap that scored the two runs.   Bad location on his pitches in that inning did him in IMO.

Yeah. He wasn't landing any of his breaking stuff. Fastball was erratic as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Optioned to Norfolk. 7.1 IP, 6 BB, 6 K and a 6.14 ERA. 

Would have much rather they DFA'd Lakins or Fry.

Baumann is a guy you want to give an extended look this year.  7.1 IP is nothing.  I don't think it's a good idea to jerk around guys like him back and forth in a year where we aren't competing and there is plenty of dead weight on the roster. 

Part of becoming all growed up like the Rays is adjusting to the fact that guys like Michael Baumann and Alex Wells who felt like they had the potential for more at points in their minor league careers can still serve a purpose taking their turns in 50% of the weeks as the 11th-12th-13th-14th pitcher.   

The identify of that quartet changes daily during a baseball season, and some of the art of maximizing your roster is perfecting playing that game.

When you keep Watkins-Lakins-Fry as your last three pitchers week after week after week, you either don't have enough near replacement level arms, or you aren't trying.   Or both.

On a lovely spring evening in which Bradish, Hall and Rutschman are all playing baseball games, the end of the period of whichever one it was feels close.

58 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Baumann is a guy you want to give an extended look this year.  7.1 IP is nothing.  I don't think it's a good idea to jerk around guys like him back and forth in a year where we aren't competing and there is plenty of dead weight on the roster. 

I mostly just care that he gets on the mound regularly.   Last year Lowther spent a lot of time on the taxi squad not doing anything.   That’s no way to keep sharp or get better.    All of our optionable guys are going to play musical chairs unless they shine.   Not saying that’s the best approach, but that’s reality.   

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Yeah I agree and I’m not even a big Baumann fan. Let’s find out what we have with him. I suspect that we’ll find a straight FB that hitters tee off on, but at least we’ll know and can plan accordingly. 

• 4 weeks later...

He followed Hall today and was a not good mix of bad command and no go to swing and miss pitch even though he struck out 4 in 2 innings. Seems to still be trying to mix his curveball in more often, but with varying success. When he gets the ball in the zone, he's getting hit hard.

• 3 months later...

I have not been high on Bauman at all this year.  Seen him pitch a couple times and he always seems to get hit hard.  Fastball looks super straight always.  Tonight, he is absolutely shoving.  11k's through 5ip - looks like he's getting a little bit of movement on the FB.  Pitching against Lehigh which is a pretty decent team.  He's given up one run so far.  Lead-off batter in the 5th got on, on a strikeout on a slider in the dirt and Nottingham couldn't block it.  That runner scored on a double down the line.  He's given up 4 hits and no BBs 60 of 84 strikes.  Imagine he may be done, will be interesting to see if they put him back out there.  

Update: 13ks through 6ip.  0 BBs 69/97 strikes.  Awesome they let him go back out there.  What a great performance.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Hard not to like what I saw last night. Baumann sat 95-97, and was at 97 in the the 6th inning after 90+ pitches. His slider was diving pretty good and he was mixing in his curve and even a change on occasion. Mostly fastball, slider, he looks like he could certainly help out of the bullpen down the stretch.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1