The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

9 hours ago, Natty said:

I wonder about the guys like Babe Ruth.  I remember the wall out in right center at Yankee stadium said 464. And Detroit stadium it said 440 out in dead center. How many more HR would he have hit in the newer short wall stadiums? 

RF in old Yankee stadium was extremely short. 

On 5/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, Natty said:

I wonder about the guys like Babe Ruth.  I remember the wall out in right center at Yankee stadium said 464. And Detroit stadium it said 440 out in dead center. How many more HR would he have hit in the newer short wall stadiums? 

Ever heard of the House that Ruth built? Right field was 314 feet…perfect for Ruth. 

• Upvote 1

All I can say is it didn't feel like a homer when he hit it.  It felt like a fly ball.  It was up in the air quite a while.  I knew it would have been out in the old park.  I see that it would have been out in 28 parks.  Hit it better. Randy Arrazawhatshisname had no problem with the wall.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

All I can say is it didn't feel like a homer when he hit it.  It felt like a fly ball.  It was up in the air quite a while.  I knew it would have been out in the old park.  I see that it would have been out in 28 parks.  Hit it better. Randy Arrazawhatshisname had no problem with the wall.

Looked like a homer to me on TV, for a second, until I remembered The Wall. 380' fly balls to straight away left have been home runs in most parks for many decades now.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:43 AM, Natty said:

It was 296' to RF at old Yankee, and unlike Fenway's 296 the fence didn't immediately fall off to much deeper measurements.  It wasn't much over 300' 50' or 75' towards RC.

He had 46 homers at Cleveland's League Park, which was 290' to RF and 340' in the RC gap. Imagine OPACY with the RF/RC walls 30' closer.

He had 85 at the Polo Grounds and its 275' sign down the RF line.

And another 58 at Sportsman's Park in St. Louis that was 310' to RF and just 354' to RC.

That's a total of 448 homers in parks that had at least one dimension in RF or RC that is shorter than any current MLB park except Fenway's Pesky Pole.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I get moving the wall back but it just seems like a bit too radical of a change...it's gotta be up there with the deepest LF / high wall combos in baseball with Detroit, Oakland, and Seattle, no? 

Doubles off the top of the new 13 foot high wall are HR's in every other park. Its the deepest LF in baseball by a good margin. If you hit it down the line or towards the bullpen, you're OK. Just not in the middle area.