The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

2 hours ago, Kaven5 said:

I was almost buying the scam until the Orioles passed on Jordan Lawlar last year. That was just inexcusable. To have that talent fall to 5 and the ORIOLES PASSED. I cant accept any excuse from Elias. Moves like that will continue to keep fans away.

189 AB    .349 AVG   8HR   32RBI  25SB   1.031OPS     2022 SO FAR

Most fans have no clue who Lawlar or Cowser are.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Total attendance through 40 games is 626,828.  That compares to 659,618 in 2019, the last full season with unrestricted attendance.   So it’s close, and with the team surging right now, I wouldn’t be too surprised if the second half was a bit stronger than the first.  

Ticket and concession prices have gone way up since then. Pricing a lot of us out for consistent visits, unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Ticket and concession prices have gone way up since then. Pricing a lot of us out for consistent visits, unfortunately.

Ticket prices to Orioles games have not increased, and the number of ticket promotions has increased significantly the last couple of years.  Concessions have increased, but the O’s have returned to a very liberal policy about bringing your own food and non-alcoholic beverages, so concession prices shouldn’t deter anyone who really wants to see a ballgame.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Ticket prices to Orioles games have not increased, and the number of ticket promotions has increased significantly the last couple of years.  Concessions have increased, but the O’s have returned to a very liberal policy about bringing your own food and non-alcoholic beverages, so concession prices shouldn’t deter anyone who really wants to see a ballgame.  

Fair enough, ticket prices haven’t gone up on average but the FCI shows an over $20 increase since 2019.

Anecdotally, and something I can’t find any data on, I do believe the upper deck tickets have increased, while other parts of the stadium have stayed the same or gone down in some cases (bleachers during the week for example). An article from 2018 mentioned $35 being the most expensive seat there, there are $42 seats in the UD for the Yankees series coming up. 

13 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Fair enough, ticket prices haven’t gone up on average but the FCI shows an over $20 increase since 2019.

Anecdotally, and something I can’t find any data on, I do believe the upper deck tickets have increased, while other parts of the stadium have stayed the same or gone down in some cases (bleachers during the week for example). An article from 2018 mentioned $35 being the most expensive seat there, there are $42 seats in the UD for the Yankees series coming up. 

Yeah …but they offset with all the $10 nights, 1990s priced hot dogs, and kids come free with a paying adult. I don’t like the way they are doing it by getting full gate from season ticket holders by discounting to the fair weather or occasional fans and by trying to make it up with ridiculously priced concessions. 

im making my 5th or 6th game tomorrow…..we are eating at Maria D’s before going to the stadium and drinking a few in the parking lot to limit what we spend/overspend inside. I’ve never done any of that before but the ridiculous prices have me changing my approach.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah …but they offset with all the $10 nights, 1990s priced hot dogs, and kids come free with a paying adult. I don’t like the way they are doing it by getting full gate from season ticket holders by discounting to the fair weather or occasional fans and by trying to make it up with ridiculously priced concessions. 

im making my 5th or 6th game tomorrow…..we are eating at Maria D’s before going to the stadium and drinking a few in the parking lot to limit what we spend/overspend inside. I’ve never done any of that before but the ridiculous prices have me changing my approach.

Hope they stick with the ‘92 pricing next year! You’re right though, there are definitely affordable ways to see a game (outside of concessions), the team is just playing so well I don’t have anything to complain about.

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

Hope they stick with the ‘92 pricing next year! You’re right though, there are definitely affordable ways to see a game (outside of concessions), the team is just playing so well I don’t have anything to complain about.

I’m happy with the play …but it’s 2 separate things imo. Paying 15 for a beer is just absurd

8 hours ago, survivedc said:

I take the FCI with a grain of salt.  If minimizing cost is your objective you can go to an Orioles game for very little compared to other entertainment options. 

I just went online and picked a random game (vs. White Sox in August) and I can buy dozens of tickets in the outfield bleachers at $10 a pop.  I could bring my own food and drink, or buy from the vendors outside the stadium that (at least a few years ago) had hot dogs, water, soda, pretzels, peanuts for a few bucks.  I could certainly take my family of four to the O's game for a cost very similar to going to the local movie theater.  And that's a small fraction of the cost of going to an NBA, NFL, NHL or MLS game.

I'm taking the family to the DC United-Bayern Munich game in a few weeks and the cheapest seats we could get with a group discount were over $100 each.  And you can't bring your own food.

44 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m happy with the play …but it’s 2 separate things imo. Paying 15 for a beer is just absurd

I follow a Twitter feed called Footy Scran.  They post pictures, descriptions and prices of food and drink from soccer stadiums around the world.  US sports food/drink prices are routinely laughed at.  You can get six beers in a carrier at Borussia Dortmund in Germany for the cost of a single beer at many US venues.

A sausage, some fries, and a beer at a Brazilian match might be like $6-8, in Europe probably $12-15, in the US it's $25.

The other day someone posted a nice plate of assorted BBQ from Sporting Kansas City for $10 and the response was something like holy f'ing @##$%$%, that must be the cheapest food in the entire country, let's all go to KC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I take the FCI with a grain of salt.  If minimizing cost is your objective you can go to an Orioles game for very little compared to other entertainment options. 

I just went online and picked a random game (vs. White Sox in August) and I can buy dozens of tickets in the outfield bleachers at $10 a pop.  I could bring my own food and drink, or buy from the vendors outside the stadium that (at least a few years ago) had hot dogs, water, soda, pretzels, peanuts for a few bucks.  I could certainly take my family of four to the O's game for a cost very similar to going to the local movie theater.  And that's a small fraction of the cost of going to an NBA, NFL, NHL or MLS game.

I'm taking the family to the DC United-Bayern Munich game in a few weeks and the cheapest seats we could get with a group discount were over $100 each.  And you can't bring your own food.

Agree with you on some of this. But, the vendor selling Jeppi nuts at the intersection where the parking lot crowd is gone. I’m guessing they might come back eventually with increased attendance. I’m not brown bagging an Os game either. It’s just not me. Plus they should stop with the gimmicks like the 1992 hotdog prices. Price stuff more fair and people will buy more. Not trying to get into the minute details or exact prices….just common sense. 

A hot dog with a roll and M/K/R/O has a food cost probably around 15 cents. You simply don’t need to charge $5.00 for a hot dog. If you sold them for $2.50 you’d still make a handsome profit and sone fans would buy 2 or 3. A fountain soda (drink, cup, lid, and ice) has a cost around 10 cents. Even with a flimsy souvenir cup you can probably add 5 cents. Why do you need to sell it for $4 or $5 dollars. That’s my general feeling 

30 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Agree with you on some of this. But, the vendor selling Jeppi nuts at the intersection where the parking lot crowd is gone. I’m guessing they might come back eventually with increased attendance. I’m not brown bagging an Os game either. It’s just not me. Plus they should stop with the gimmicks like the 1992 hotdog prices. Price stuff more fair and people will buy more. Not trying to get into the minute details or exact prices….just common sense. 

A hot dog with a roll and M/K/R/O has a food cost probably around 15 cents. You simply don’t need to charge $5.00 for a hot dog. If you sold them for $2.50 you’d still make a handsome profit and sone fans would buy 2 or 3. A fountain soda (drink, cup, lid, and ice) has a cost around 10 cents. Even with a flimsy souvenir cup you can probably add 5 cents. Why do you need to sell it for $4 or $5 dollars. That’s my general feeling 

All US sports pricing seems to have gone to the charge more/sell less model.  Tickets, concessions, everything.  I'm sure they have data showing that increases revenues today.  And no one cares about five or ten years from now when the next generation of fans is half the size of the last, because management has almost certainly turned over by then and all that matters is today's profits.

The stadiums are smaller and smaller to accommodate this model.  Which is sorta fine until you're DC and you don't get any 2026 World Cup matches because the only decent soccer pitch in the area is Audi Field that seats 22k, and any World Cup match is going to draw 40k, 50k, 60k+.

52 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I follow a Twitter feed called Footy Scran.  They post pictures, descriptions and prices of food and drink from soccer stadiums around the world.  US sports food/drink prices are routinely laughed at.  You can get six beers in a carrier at Borussia Dortmund in Germany for the cost of a single beer at many US venues.

A sausage, some fries, and a beer at a Brazilian match might be like $6-8, in Europe probably $12-15, in the US it's $25.

The other day someone posted a nice plate of assorted BBQ from Sporting Kansas City for $10 and the response was something like holy f'ing @##$%$%, that must be the cheapest food in the entire country, let's all go to KC.

First time I went to a La Liga game I walked around stadium twice looking for a beer.  When I finally asked someone, he was like…  Yea, we don’t sell alcohol here, there is already problems with violence in and around the stadium.  Alcohol sales during games would only exacerbate the problem. The Ticket to the game, however, was close to 100 euro.