The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

12 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles drew 15,685 vs the Red Sox tonight. Probably 40% Red Sox fans at least. Seems like a small crowd for a Friday Red Sox game but is still April. No bump to see Bradish at all. I think Adley and Grayson should show some bump in attendance. The others probably not.DL Hall maybe .

For the Friday night game against the Yankees, there were 32,000+. Much shorter drive from NY to BAL (as compared to from Boston) so I guess a lot of Yankee fans made the drive down for those games.

17 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

For the Friday night game against the Yankees, there were 32,000+. Much shorter drive from NY to BAL (as compared to from Boston) so I guess a lot of Yankee fans made the drive down for those games.

The Red Sox and Yankee fans are not driving down from NY and Boston, most of those fans are from the DC suburbs and Northern Virginia. They also wear curly W hats when the Nats are winning. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Just a question, why are all of these fans traveling from NY?   Could they be NY-loving fans living close to OPACY also?  Do the majority travel over 100 miles?  Any links to these figures you quote?  Axing for a friend ....

Also weather much colder yesterday in Baltimore

3 hours ago, rm5678 said:

The Yankee game also was on Easter Sunday, so a lot of people were off for the preceding week and able to make long trips.   

5 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

The Red Sox and Yankee fans are not driving down from NY and Boston, most of those fans are from the DC suburbs and Northern Virginia. They also wear curly W hats when the Nats are winning. 

I think that's right.

But there are NYY fans who travel to Camden Yards from the NY area because tickets are so much cheaper (and good seats more easily available) than at the Mausoleum in the Bronx. There was an article in the New York paper 5-10 years ago showing that it would cost a New Yorker less to go to Seattle for a three-game NYY-Mariner series in Seattle than it would to go to a three-game series, with comparable seats, between those teams in New York. I recall waiting in line at Boog's before a NYY-Orioles game around 2016. The couple in front of me were sure that they had been undercharged. They hadn't been. I talked to them for a moment, and sure enough they lived in NY suburbs.

I imagine the same is true of Red Sox fans. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I think that's right.

But there are NYY fans who travel to Camden Yards from the NY area because tickets are so much cheaper (and good seats more easily available) than at the Mausoleum in the Bronx. There was an article in the New York paper 5-10 years ago showing that it would cost a New Yorker less to go to Seattle for a three-game NYY-Mariner series in Seattle than it would to go to a three-game series, with comparable seats, between those teams in New York. I recall waiting in line at Boog's before a NYY-Orioles game around 2016. The couple in front of me were sure that they had been undercharged. They hadn't been. I talked to them for a moment, and sure enough they lived in NY suburbs.

I imagine the same is true of Red Sox fans. 

This subject comes up every few years here. There has always been a percentage of baseball fans visiting OPCY from the north east, I acknowledge that. I do laugh though when folks think there is a mass migration from the north east to visit OPCY to see the Yankees and the Red Sox. The vast majority of fans of those teams that visit OPCY live in the DC/Baltimore region. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bobmc said:

Just a question, why are all of these fans traveling from NY?   Could they be NY-loving fans living close to OPACY also?  Do the majority travel over 100 miles?  Any links to these figures you quote?  Axing for a friend ....

Also weather much colder yesterday in Baltimore

Yankee fans are everywhere, they're like a pandemic.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, fansince1988 said:

This subject comes up every few years here. There has always been a percentage of baseball fans visiting OPCY from the north east, I acknowledge that. I do laugh though when folks think there is a mass migration from the north east to visit OPCY to see the Yankees and the Red Sox. The vast majority of fans of those teams that visit OPCY live in the DC/Baltimore region. 

When I went to the games for years most of the weekday fans are from the greater Baltimore/ Washington metro. Specifically Yankee fans I am  discussing. On the weekend, many of them seemed to be from northern and central New Jersey. Definitely when the school year ended ,more migration south. Red Sox fans used to either drive or many of them took Southwest ,when fares were like $39. Airfares and gas being much higher , I guess they are not making the weekend trip. Hence the 15,000 and 19,000 or so for this weekend . Maybe when the school year ends ,more will make the trip .Not sure they will since Red Sox nation seems angry. Plus they are not that good and seem to not have their usual fan favorites. 

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If attendance gets much worse, O's will shut down vending and fans will have to bring their own food. 

What is sad is that the Orioles put a crap product on the field and pay less for rent and the state gets less money. Must be nice to spend no money and don't try to be competitive and attendance goes down and you get a freaken rent break.What a sham the Orioles have pulled.

Lack of fans at Camden Yards costs Maryland millions in rent | WTOP News
https://wtop.com/baltimore-orioles/2021/08/lack-of-fans-at-camden-yards-costs-maryland-millions-in-rent/

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

What is sad is that the Orioles put a crap product on the field and pay less for rent and the state gets less money. Must be nice to spend no money and don't try to be competitive and attendance goes down and you get a freaken rent break.What a sham the Orioles have pulled.

Lack of fans at Camden Yards costs Maryland millions in rent | WTOP News
https://wtop.com/baltimore-orioles/2021/08/lack-of-fans-at-camden-yards-costs-maryland-millions-in-rent/

I've said it before, they don't need physical attendance to make money.

On the bright side I'm sure all the stadium improvements they've been planning will make the State money.

• Like 1