Can anyone hit the #$%&! dang ball.....?

DocJJ

22 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Looking at baseball reference last season one home run was hit every 27 at bats. This season it’s closer to a home run every 36 at bats. 

I think the humidor is making an impact. Perhaps early season chilly weather is also dragging down home runs. 

Is it that much colder this year than most Aprils?  I mean, the season started a week later that it was supposed to so they didn't even play that first week of April which would typically be the coldest.

It really hasn't been abnormally cold.  I haven't run my heater in a few weeks now.  There were a few nights I almost did but pulling on an extra blanket was sufficient.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:26 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

10 runs in 2 games.  O's are an offensive juggernaut. 

I still don't understand the inability to hit HR.  O's have a lot of guys w/ marginal HR power, so maybe the humidor is having a huge effect.  I had Mullins, Hays and Mancini w/ good shots at 20 HR and Mountcastle w/ a good shot at 30. 

I was told that baseball is more exciting with less home runs. The O's are just leading a return to the purer days of the 1910s.

I'm all for home runs by home run hitters, too many homers by guys just hitting not well struck fly balls that land in the seats. People are saying the ball is not the same this year, but still lots of 450-460 foot shots. I can remember when homeruns seemed to be earned, and mostly pulled, not to center or rarely to the opposite field. The players "maybe" stronger today, but we know the ball is better.

8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Buxton dosen't qualify yet but has an over 1.000 OPS and leads the AL with 6 homers.

I would like to see the numbers Buxton could put up if he was able to stay healthy enough to play 130 games in a season. 

In Buxton’s last 402 at bats he’s hit 38 home runs and has a .987 OPS since 2020.