Cesar Prieto 2022

Frobby

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The biggest thing I'm looking for from Prieto is power.  Without power he's probably not a starter.    Is he a 10 homer guy or a potential 25 homer guy.   He hit about 5 homers in a 10 game stretch at Aberdeen.   He just hit his 2nd for Bowie the other night.    

Coming into the org, HR power hasn't really been his game.  He seems to be more of a 'control the strike zone and hit a liner in the gaps' type of guy.  The O's probably saw the hit tool and with the hope of a few of those 2B extended to HRs.

Not sure he'll be more than a 10-15 HR guy.  But even if not a 20+ HR guy but can carry a .280/.325/.425, then he should be an MLB contributor.

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

I thought he was supposed to have better OBP skills? So far at A+ and AA it is not really looking like that. 

I think he was more notable for his ability to hit and make contact moreso than drawing walks and hitting for any power.   So far, he's shown more power than expected and been pretty close to what was expected in the hitting and contact department.   I wouldn't say he's a hacker but he's not going to take too many hittable pitches either.

3 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I thought he was supposed to have better OBP skills? So far at A+ and AA it is not really looking like that. 

Sort of.  His walk rate was 9-10% in international play.  Not crazy, but much better than the 4% he's shown so far in A+ and AA.  The bulk of his high OBP was his high AVG. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, justD said:

Just jumping on this thread to say the bunt single he just laid down in the first inning with a man on was a true thing of beauty.  Couldn’t have been placed more perfectly. 

Wait, baseball players still know how to bunt? My inner old man is pleased.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Looked good tonight at the plate with a nice oppo 2B on a hanging first pitch 82 MPH change that almost went out of the park. 

Over his last 26 games he's slashing .311/.355/.437/.791 with 10 2B, 1 HR, 4 BB, 16 K in 110 PAs.
It's notable that Prieto has played 3B almost exclusively since Norby arrived. He's made just 3 errors in his 36 games there with Bowie. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tony-OH said:

He actually looks pretty good at 3B overall. He doesn't have a rocket arm but it's enough to play there. He reminds me a bit of a left-handed hitting Urias.

A weird play tonight, on a foul ball he ran all the way directly into the dugout and had to brace himself up against the wall to stop his momentum.

Turns out the dugouts are level with the field to prevent flooding since we’re on an island in the middle of a river!

D158BAC7-1BB5-4850-A4EA-087505F1875C.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Tony-OH said:

He actually looks pretty good at 3B overall. He doesn't have a rocket arm but it's enough to play there. He reminds me a bit of a left-handed hitting Urias.

The play he made in the 8th inning tonight really did look like a Urías play. Smooth.

On a related (?) note, he was backing up McGinnis who looked really sharp. I remember him looking sharp in June as well. Is he written up somewhere or is he perennial minor leagues?

2 hours ago, justD said:

The play he made in the 8th inning tonight really did look like a Urías play. Smooth.

On a related (?) note, he was backing up McGinnis who looked really sharp. I remember him looking sharp in June as well. Is he written up somewhere or is he perennial minor leagues?

McGinnis is not a guy for me. Decent org reliever, but I don't see him having anything that's going to get big league hitters out regularly. 

• Upvote 1

Two men on, two out when he comes up in the first. Chops a grounder to third to end the inning. Stands dejectedly awaiting Norby with his gear. Walks slowly to third, and upon arriving there places his glove over his mouth and swears with great gusto - and frustration.