Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But you're getting a guy putting up 2013 Adam Dunn numbers in AAA.

That isn't what you are probably going to get in the majors.

He’s a streaky hitter.  I’d rather see him getting big league at bats than Nevin or even Mancini. 

1 hour ago, connja said:

Stowers is hitting .213 in Norfolk right now.

36 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

With a 104 wRC+.

I don’t think we should focus on where his numbers are “right now.”   He’s at a low point.   We’ll see where he is in a month or two and that’ll be a better basis for judgment.  

Anyway, back to Gunnar.

I don’t think people give him enough credit for his athleticism.  Or maybe they forget.  He was Alabama’s HS player of the year for both basketball and baseball in 2019.  You can’t play at that level and get named that in basketball without having some speed and quickness. 

He was also a helium guy prior to the draft in 2019, so people may not have been in tune with or seen tape on his base running skills, etc.  Seeing how hard he’s worked overall, I’d venture a guess he’s probably put time into that part of his game too in order to try to improve his range and speed to greaten his chances of staying at SS long term. I’m sure he’s heard the chatter that he won’t stick there. 

• Upvote 3

.309/.459/.506 through 25 games with more walks (23) than strikeouts (20), 10/10 in stolen bases.

Wonder how long he stays down in AA. He doesn't turn 21 for another 7 weeks, but if he keeps hitting like this it is going to be hard to hold him back from the 2023 Opening Day roster. An excellent problem to have, hopefully he keeps it up!

• Upvote 1

I know I'm swimming against the tide here (due to age and SSS at AA), but he's been ready for AAA, IMO.  He has adjusted mentally to hitting instead of just relying on his skills being that much better than his opponents.  But I think it's just a matter of letting the AAA crew wash out or up so Gunnar can continue getting his SS/3B reps.  I wouldn't be shocked if he would have posted better MLB numbers than any 3B we've fielded in Baltimore so far.

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I know I'm swimming against the tide here (due to age and SSS at AA), but he's been ready for AAA, IMO.  He has adjusted mentally to hitting instead of just relying on his skills being that much better than his opponents.  But I think it's just a matter of letting the AAA crew wash out or up so Gunnar can continue getting his SS/3B reps.  I wouldn't be shocked if he would have posted better MLB numbers than any 3B we've fielded in Baltimore so far.

I'm in agreement. I know we talk about how Elias and company are slow with promotions most of the time, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see Henderson in AAA in a couple weeks if he keeps it up. Last year, he got 35 games and 157 plate appearances before they bumped him up to Aberdeen after he posted a .944 OPS. His current OPS in Bowie is above that. I think another week or two of dominance puts him in position for a promotion. I don't think you worry about the likes of Martin, Grenier, and Bannon losing playing time/ABs in favor of Henderson. They're all more likely role players in the Majors at best so more time on the bench for them isn't a bad thing in my opinion. 

I don't think you can compare the promotion schedule last year to what they may do this year.  Last year was coming off the Covid year a lot of guys frankly were placed too low (IMO).  So you had some quick promotions to try to get guys back "on schedule".  I'm expecting half a year at Bowie for Gunnar, and if he continues to do well, half a year at Norfolk.  Then rehab a phantom injury next spring and be up by May.

If all goes well.

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think you can compare the promotion schedule last year to what they may do this year.  Last year was coming off the Covid year a lot of guys frankly were placed too low (IMO).  So you had some quick promotions to try to get guys back "on schedule".  I'm expecting half a year at Bowie for Gunnar, and if he continues to do well, half a year at Norfolk.  Then rehab a phantom injury next spring and be up by May.

If all goes well.

I agree with you that last year isn’t the best basis for comparison.   I guess the way I’d put it is I certainly wasn’t expecting any promotions any earlier than they happened last year.   They could well be later for the reasons you gave.   If Henderson keeps his foot on the gas he’ll make it hard for them to wait half a season to promote him.   But let’s see if he actually does that, or whether he cools off.   

If Henderson can continue what he's done to this point, you'd have to consider him neck and neck with Rutchsman as the top prospect.   Tell me I'm crazy.   He's drastically cut down on his errors and strikeouts.   He looks very athletic in the field.   It sounds like he'll be above average at 3B with a chance to play SS.  He's got power, plate discipline, and even can steal a base.    And he's still 20 years old.

Remember the Mayo vs Henderson debate.   I don't think Mayo has slippped one bit but I do think Henderson may have ascended to a new level.

• Upvote 1

No Somerset until 4th of July for the Anthony Volpe faceoff, but I feel if the performances were reversed in their initial AA seasons, Volpe would be earning consideration to unseat just about everyone for baseball's #1 prospect. 

Two months to go, but midseason lists are 33% of the way to being pretty fun.

Can’t recall who, but someone had Corey Seager comps on Gunnar at draft time. Say what you want about comps, but that may be staring to coming true. If Gunnar can maintain his exhibited bat to ball, power and K/BB ratios in the big leagues as Corey does, I think that’s a valid comp.  

Not to sip the Kool Aid too much, but if he can maintain the speed and quickness he’s shown this far in his minor league career, we may just end up with a better version of Seager. 

Seager debuted in Sep 2015 at 21 yrs 129 days btw. He also hits lefties pretty well with a 281 BA and 807 OPS thus far in his MLB career.