Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Your posts are an acquired taste and I’ve acquired it even though I still don’t know what the hell you’re saying sometimes. 👍

Almost all Mike Elias has given us for near four whole years (with an assist from COVID) is draft pool maximization...I'm pretty far into the weeds, and think a lot of the board is too :)

I suppose he's given us Latin America buildup too, but four years isn't really long enough to tell.   Monopoly-wise I feel like we almost have a house on St. James Place.  

• Upvote 1

What MLB scouts think of the American League prospects in the Futures Game - The Athletic

Gunnar Henderson
21 | 3B/SS | Baltimore | Double A/Triple A
76 G, .293/.427/.532, 18 BB%, 21 K%, 16 2B, 4 3B, 13 HR

Henderson had such a steady start to this season it’s easy to forget he had an up-and-down 2021. His wonky left-handed swing leveled out enough for him to make consistent contact and show his slugging potential early. He hits a lot more ground balls and fly balls than line drives, and he strikes out at an above-average rate, but “that’s because he’s letting it eat,” one scout said. He just turned 21 and is already at Triple A, so there’s more to like than to be concerned about. Regardless, he profiles as a big, middle-of-the-order bat who could club 30 home runs on an annual basis. Whether he plays at shortstop or third base, Henderson has star potential.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Jim Bowden's thoughts on Gunnar

6. Gunnar Henderson, INF, Orioles

2022 stats (Double A, Triple A): .293/.428/.538 slash line
2B: 16 3B: 5 HR: 13 RBI: 52 SB: 15

Henderson is going to win a major-league batting title someday. He’s an integral part of the Orioles’ rebuild, which is looking brighter and brighter by the day, thanks to a bevy of young talent in the majors and minors. Henderson, the Orioles’ top position-player prospect, is close to being major-league-ready. A tremendous athlete with a strong arm, he’s learning not to chase out of the strike zone and becoming more patient at the plate, working counts and waiting for his pitch. Someday soon, he’ll be a big leaguer, and then we’ll be watching him in MLB All-Star games, not the Futures Game.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, deward said:

Jim Bowden's thoughts on Gunnar

6. Gunnar Henderson, INF, Orioles

2022 stats (Double A, Triple A): .293/.428/.538 slash line
2B: 16 3B: 5 HR: 13 RBI: 52 SB: 15

Henderson is going to win a major-league batting title someday. He’s an integral part of the Orioles’ rebuild, which is looking brighter and brighter by the day, thanks to a bevy of young talent in the majors and minors. Henderson, the Orioles’ top position-player prospect, is close to being major-league-ready. A tremendous athlete with a strong arm, he’s learning not to chase out of the strike zone and becoming more patient at the plate, working counts and waiting for his pitch. Someday soon, he’ll be a big leaguer, and then we’ll be watching him in MLB All-Star games, not the Futures Game.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading it. Is it bad that I am bummed that Jim Bowden is so high on Gunner. I think that guy is a goof!

43 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading it. Is it bad that I am bummed that Jim Bowden is so high on Gunner. I think that guy is a goof!

I'm definitely not much of a Bowden fan, I just thought the comment about Gunnar winning a batting title was interesting. The national hype train on him has no brakes all of a sudden, it's been almost bizarre to watch. I really, really hope he lives up to it, it'd be such a huge boost for the franchise.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love how Bowden says he's going to win a batting title and Fangraphs has him between .246-.253 over the next five years.

The batting title seems a random claim since up until this season he was not known for hitting for a high BA.  An OBP or Slugging title might seem like more of a fitting possibility, although both seem like a reach. 

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

The batting title seems a random claim since up until this season he was not known for hitting for a high BA.  An OBP or Slugging title might seem like more of a fitting possibility, although both seem like a reach. 

The pool of people on planet earth that understand what your post refers to, and can recite the event, is probably limited to the fanatics that frequent this forum. Bravo.

In contrast, my 33rd wedding anniversary is coming up and I had to spend too many minutes today remembering the actual date.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

The pool of people on planet earth that understand what your post refers to, and can recite the event, is probably limited to the fanatics that frequent this forum. Bravo.

In contrast, my 33rd wedding anniversary is coming up and I had to spend too many minutes today remembering the actual date.

Fret not, you’re not alone. My wedding was March 6 2021, and in January of that year I accidentally started planning a ski trip with friends.

Somehow she still decided to marry me.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, MurphDogg said:

Been scuffling a little bit the last 10 games, but he hit a triple tonight. Again, right around 11 seconds home to third which is exceptionally fast.

The pregame show today had video of a Druw Jones triple.    It was just me trying to synchronize with the phone stopwatch but I got a 10.7 on him.