Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think Elias has a decision to make here. Do you go for the Wild Card this year or is everything going to be about controllability and pay days long term?

If you want to go for the Wild Card this year, I think Henderson needs to come up and get plopped down at 3B for the rest of the year. Urias goes to 2B and Odor goes to the bench with a demotion of Nevin back to AAA or Odor is DFA'd (doubtful). Nevin could also be DFA'd easily to make room for Henderson.

Now, if Elias does not want Henderson coming up this year do to clock issues, then we probably won't see him until a week or two after the season starts next year.

This will be a good test to see what mode Elias is working from as well as what financial concerns does he have long term about these guys.

Aren't the new rules that if the player finished top 3 in rookie of the year voting that the service time is a moot point?   If Henderson doesn't come up until May 1  but finishes top 3 Rookie then it was in vain.   I think we see Henderson before the year is over but late enough to preserve his rookie eligibility for next year.

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Aren't the new rules that if the player finished top 3 in rookie of the year voting that the service time is a moot point?   If Henderson doesn't come up until May 1  but finishes top 3 Rookie then it was in vain.   I think we see Henderson before the year is over but late enough to preserve his rookie eligibility for next year.

Yes, but it's top 2 in RoY voting.  I think we're going to see that happen with Adley.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geschinger said:

Yep.  If they aren't going to play service time games with him they should bring him up around August 22 or so and get him as close to 130 ABs as possible w/o exceeding that.

The good thing is it says ABs, not PAs. With Gunnar’s plate discipline, that should be easy. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Could certainly be a thought, but they're risking it if he doesn't finish top 3.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

That was a relic from the past when rosters could expand to 40 on September 1.  That is not the case anymore.  It changed in 2020 and continues going forward.  Days spent on the active Major League roster will count toward the 45 needed to graduate from rookie status whether they are in September or earlier. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

This is just a google search results page. What I linked was from mlb

From the MLB website.

An article explaining the details of the fact the days played after Sep 1. don't count toward rookie eligibility.

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-to-receive-rookie-of-the-year-votes-in-2-years

Also from wikipedia..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie

But I suppose it's possible that the criteria have changed.

6 minutes ago, owknows said:

From the MLB website.

An article explaining the details of the fact the days played after Sep 1. don't count toward rookie eligibility.

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-to-receive-rookie-of-the-year-votes-in-2-years

Also from wikipedia..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie

But I suppose it's possible that the criteria have changed.

Interesting. I assume that rule changed with the new CBA since the expanded roster rule was cut considerably, from 40 to 28. 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Interesting. I assume that rule changed with the new CBA since the expanded roster rule was cut considerably, from 40 to 28. 

Yeah. I think you may be right.

Surprised there isn't a clear explanation of that somewhere online.

Rookie eligibility:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless he has exceeded any of the following thresholds in a previous season (or seasons):

• 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues.
• 45 total days on an active Major League roster during the Championship Season (excluding time on the Injured List).

A player must have rookie eligibility to be considered for any MLB rookie awards -- such as the American League or National League Rookie of the Year Award -- or appear on any MLB Pipeline prospect lists.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/rookie-eligibility

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Rookie eligibility:

A player shall be considered a rookie unless he has exceeded any of the following thresholds in a previous season (or seasons):

• 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues.
• 45 total days on an active Major League roster during the Championship Season (excluding time on the Injured List).

A player must have rookie eligibility to be considered for any MLB rookie awards -- such as the American League or National League Rookie of the Year Award -- or appear on any MLB Pipeline prospect lists.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/rookie-eligibility

yes, Our friend @Wariole posted that link above.

But as we've seen from the other MLB website link posted above, there is conflicting information even on the MLB website. Stating that the 45 total days only accrue before September 1st. And after that... they don't count toward rookie status.

This (Service time after Sep 1st not counting) was apparently the case up until the signing of this most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, when the rookie status rules were changed, in conjunction with the changes to September callups.